Tint and Radar

My understanding is that tint (especially Metalized) can interfere with radar detectors ?

If this is in fact true, have any studies been done to see if tint can adversely affect the dash mounted and rear facing radar in Police cars ?

It could mean folks are getting tickets they should not get since tint can (or does it ?) affect the accuracy of the Radar ?

Be intersting to see what input shows up here.

Guest olletsoc
I saw a "Mythbusters" episode where they tried EVERYTHING to interfere with radar, from flat black paint, to mirror balls, foil in the hubcaps, a chaff gun, and a magnetron. Nothing made the slightest difference, I doubt tint would. :beer

I was going to mention the same episode TD. likewise I don't believe tint would have any positive or negative effects on radar

Guest darkdan

Radar needs a solid object to bounce off.

If the glass isn't interfering with it, a 1.5 mil thick layer of glue and polyester with half a gram of metal isn't going to do diddly.

It's just radio waves after all.

Now I'm sure a film could be built to absorb the radio waves and installing that on a police car would screw up the radar. Installing it on another car wouldn't avoid the radar at all because of the rest of the car.

I saw a "Mythbusters" episode where they tried EVERYTHING to interfere with radar, from flat black paint, to mirror balls, foil in the hubcaps, a chaff gun, and a magnetron. Nothing made the slightest difference, I doubt tint would. :trustme

Maybe the myth buster guys should have used PA state ploice radar guns. Thier guns have and I am not kidding about this, clocked road side rocks doing 98mph, and a timex at over 100 mph.

Archived