750 sq ft of flat glass to tint plus removing old tint

I just got the measurements today for a commercial job to strip the old tint off and put new tint on. The old tint looks like silver 15 and is cracking bubbling and peeling. Customer wants the same put back on without the defects. There is roughly 750 square feet of glass with the largest window being 68x88 and the smallest being 37x58. The windows are two parts upper and lower with a total height of roughly 10 feet tall with the short window on the bottom. Metal windows with rubber seals, fairly gravy except for the film removal. Normally I charge $5 per square ft to tint but I dont know what to charge for the removal of the old. I am thinking $2 sq ft. What do you think?

I guess I am stressing because I will be doing it by myself most likely and I have never done a job quite that large. I want to give the customer a good deal but I also want to make a decent profit. Not really sure how long it will take either.

Any input or suggestions will be appreciated.

Guest sqweeged

I agree...PS is easy...ask customer since he is going to have it done anyway if you can do a small test area in a area that is not to noticable...then check the adhesive....

I usually price between $1-2 per sq to remove.

I agree...PS is easy...ask customer since he is going to have it done anyway if you can do a small test area in a area that is not to noticable...then check the adhesive....

I usually price between $1-2 per sq to remove.

:lol2 Sometimes I also try to guess at how long it may take me, and charge them a flat rate per hour and then bump it up to cover expenses, and see what comes out better.

Dont sell yourself short on removal fee, if your luck is like mine, it will bite you in the azz if you cut them a deal.

Tintdudes,

Ya'll are awesome, I just posted last night at about 1 in the morning and already all the responses with great advice. Thanks to all of you and your advice is much appreciated. I think I will take this weekend to absorb my thoughts and your advice submit my bid on Monday and if they say they need to think about it I will offer some negotiation room. This seems to be a good opportunity for me this time of year especially. I am going to try and bait my hook as best I can and hope for the best.

Guest sqweeged

Back In 1974 My pop was charging .50 to .75 for removal!

here in Jersey $1 -2 is common...

Just completed 4 day care centers in South Jersey ..Removed 2 mil sec.... $1.50 per sq.

Dont know what going rate in GA or Co is but Im not gettin all blistered up from the triumph scaper for less! :lol2

I just wanted to update everyone on the job. I just got the go-ahead and the deposit on this job. As it turns out when I actually figured the exact square ft. it was more like 900 sq. ft. The guy didnt give me too much of a hard time on the price but he did negotiate me down on the film removal to $1.50 per sq ft. I will start the job late this coming week and will keep you updated on how it goes. Thanks for all your advice as it has turned out to be invaluable. I am pretty exited but for some reason also a little nervous. I guess I am just hoping the old tint comes off fairly well and the job as a whole is finished without any hitches. Well thanks again and wish me luck!

Archived