I want some who is excited about passionate about this profession to h

Guest lonestartint

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tintin' Magician

I always take a toothbrush to the frames and I get almost zero contamination; also you could try pre cutting too, takes a lil' more time but your not monkeying around with the piece after you put it up so it could save you time.

Guest haroldshouseoftint
also you could try pre cutting too, takes a lil' more time but your not monkeying around with the piece after you put it up so it could save you time.

:lol6

I always take a toothbrush to the frames and I get almost zero contamination; also you could try pre cutting too, takes a lil' more time but your not monkeying around with the piece after you put it up so it could save you time.

I've never used a tooth brush, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. But if you at least precut so that the bottom edge is straight, you can install by lifting the bottom edge up slightly so that it isn't touching the bottom gasket/seal/frame. This will allow the excess water to be removed without causing contam. to flow up under the film and you dont have to cut the excess off with all of the water that collects at the bottom. Hope this makes sense.

Guest Tintin' Magician

Yeah, customers always make fun of my "high tech tools"! :lol2 I renamed it my "excessive contaminent extractor" and now it gets a lil' more respect, even though it still says Oral-B on the side of it......... :lol6

After I lay the film on the glass I use a pro squeege and make a vertical line in the middle of the glass from top to bottom then start at the top and horizontal left side down to middle of glass then right side to middle of glass then do bottom half same way as fast as possible to get film fairly locked down to the edges. Trim the edges, I use a 5 way tool,(freehand I think is too tight and lets water seep back in) then squeggee the window again using the same pattern. Then I use my 5 way with 2 towels wrapped and hit the edges. Usually get no contamination but if your doing big windows by yourself you would probably be better off having a helper pull the liner. The faster you can tint the window from laying to hard carding at the end the cleaner the install will be :thumb .

your issue mainly is bottom edge contamination? after you've completed all of your steps prior to spraying the glass in preparation for the film, bend down and inspect the edge of the glass for water and the frame as well. I would focus on having that edge and frame dry just prior to wetting for the film. when you place the piece do you shift it around any? the more movement the better chance you have for contamination. also, alot of contamination can be taken out of play before the window ever gets wet. do a once over with a microfiber towel focusing on the frame as well as the glass. if your surface is clean enough then you should be able to handle some water at the bottom without it causing problems. oh yeah, keep your blue max or whatever at least 2-3 inches away from the edge until you've made the cut. hope some of this helps.

After your first squeege pass and when you get down to the bottom of the glass, throw some towels down and soak up the excess water. You may even need to bump it with a card and towel.

?? :thumb How am I going to soak up water with paper towels with water under the film..Im confused sir

10 yrs. experience and you haven't gotten the concept of gravity????

Come-on dood......... :?

As to your original question, I agree with darrin1, wipe the edge with a microfiber rag

before you ever get it wet.

Then you'll have less chance of the water sucking up the crap out of the frame...

There's that gravity thang again... :lol2 ....usually the bottom will be the dirtiest part....:bat

Remember... sh!t rolls down hill.... :?

Archived