Those damn antenna buttons on the back window

Guest SlammedNiss

Guest SlammedNiss

Tinted an 06 Grand Prix today, and go to pop off the rear antenna wire , and the button pops off with it.

What's the best way to fix this? I ended up using superglue, cause I couldnt think of anything else. But, it doesn't conduct electricity, therefore, isn't using the antenna in the glass anymore.

What else can be used?

Guest olletsoc

similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I popped a defroster bracket off a 07 grand marquis. any glass repair shop can fix it quick. you could try to solder it back on yourself if you want to.

Guest SlammedNiss
similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I popped a defroster bracket off a 07 grand marquis. any glass repair shop can fix it quick. you could try to solder it back on yourself if you want to.

I tried solder, but it wouldn't stick to the window at all. It stuck fine to the buttong though.

Oh well, I "fixed" it good enough. I just wish they wouldn't pop off in the first place. I knew the car was going way too smoothly.

You can buy a conductive epoxy that's made for gluing on defrost tabs that break off..it would work for that as well. Stay away from soldiering as the heat from it could crack the window ..then the antenna tab will be the least of your concerns :gasp

Guest SlammedNiss
You can buy a conductive epoxy that's made for gluing on defrost tabs that break off..it would work for that as well.

How fast does that stuff set up? The back wdo is the last one I do on any car, so I'm usually strapped for time before the customer picks it up.

I usually do the back window first (get the hardest window out of th way) ..umm...been a long time since I used it using a heatgun on the outside to help dry it ..say 15 min to half an hour...however what I would do if I were you is set it , bu don't snap the antenna back on..later on that day phone him up saying you forgot to snap it on , (this gives you the extra setting time needed b4 putting the antenna snap on it ..if for some reason it comes loose whe nhe does it ..his fault ..tell him to bring it back to you and you can repair that for $20 :gasp

(j/k ) on the last part :gasp

I usually do the back window first (get the hardest window out of th way) ..umm...been a long time since I used it using a heatgun on the outside to help dry it ..say 15 min to half an hour...however what I would do if I were you is set it , bu don't snap the antenna back on..later on that day phone him up saying you forgot to snap it on , (this gives you the extra setting time needed b4 putting the antenna snap on it ..if for some reason it comes loose whe nhe does it ..his fault ..tell him to bring it back to you and you can repair that for $20 :gasp

(j/k ) on the last part :beer

:gasp:beer:lol2

Guest scottstinting

Well I have had the same problem on the grand prix ,now I dont get near it and yes I do leave a small gap and never had a complaint .but I have used a paint marker .Ive tryed several liquid solders and its my experience to go to a chrysler dealer they sell a repair kit thats great and sets up fast and never had any problems from it after that

most glass shops have the two part epoxy kits that Twiz mentioned....that is the best way to repair it....and the tip of letting it dry and telling the customer is a great idea aswell..unless the vehicle is at your place for a few hours after the repair is made....and the sodering iron is a scrary way to go aswell....tempered glass can exploide if it gets to hot in one area to fast...you have to have a sodering gun or iron that gets really hot fast and its not worth having one of the conductine expoy kits around.....you can fix a bunch of them with one kit and you dont have to use alot ...a dab will do ya

Guest firstglass

we repair a lot of back window terminals that have come off, we clean off all the old solder, then stick them back onto the glass with two-part Locktite, then paint around the terminal with silver conductive paint, you can get this from any place that makes or repairs electrical circut boards or possibly a electrical repair shop in the US

Archived