newbie looking for right film

Guest flojo

Hi,

just discovered this forum as I am educating myself about tinting residential windows. Already learned more in reading some of the topics here for 30 min than searching on the web and talking with salespeople for the last 2 months. Here is my project. I moved this summer with my wife and daughter to a New York apartment with large north facing windows. At the time of the move, temperature were topping 100 degrees and it was hotter than a pizza oven in there even with 4 ACs running continuously. I swore to myself I would tint all those windows before next summer. I just want to find the right film for us and there is so many I want to ask the experts here for advice. Here are by order of importance the goals we are trying to achieve :

1. I don't want a tint that looks too noticeable or darken the room too much. As I said we are facing North and the place is often dark during the day. A natural look or slight greenish hue would appeal to us though (no fan of anthracite looking tint)

2. UV & heat rejection

3. Privacy. We have an office building accross the street and would appreciate some outside reflectiveness during the day. Does not have to block everything though.

4. Low inside reflectiveness as the view at night is spectacular and we want to keep enjoying it.

Thank you for helping

:thumb

Guest vclimber

A 40% ceramic would not be too noticable. 55% total solar energy rejection 99.9% UV rejection. It would give you slight privacy during the day but still be only about 10% reflective so it doesn't ruin your views. There's a few of them out there, do a search and you will find plenty of info about em all here. :thumb

Guest haroldshouseoftint
A 40% ceramic would not be too noticable. 55% total solar energy rejection 99.9% UV rejection. It would give you slight privacy during the day but still be only about 10% reflective so it doesn't ruin your views. There's a few of them out there, do a search and you will find plenty of info about em all here. :lol2

:lol6:dunno

I would have to agree

Guest darkdan

If it's facing north honestly how much direct sunlight could be coming in through it?

Unless you're getting a lot of ambient or reflected light off other buildings.

But I agree, something in the 35% range would do you well.

Here's some 3M Night Vision 35:

sunroom.jpg

TSER 57%

UV Rejection 99%

Exterior Reflection 18%

Interior Reflection 12%

And if you have to remove it when you leave it's a pressure sensitive adhesive so it'd be a bit easier to take off.

Now we've given you three great films to choose from. Which I'm sure just made it harder for you to decide!

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal

Heres some 3M NV25 with/without film

IMGP2282.jpg

I need a bigger ladder :krazy

IMGP2284.jpg

The bottom windows are done in NV25 the slider is open is why it looks so much darker...you can really see the difference though

IMGP2285.jpg

Archived