Silicon Seal NUBE

Guest cherasia

Guest cherasia

I have a job coming up where there are big globs of silicon sealant in the corners of the dual paned windows. Should I ask the customer if I can gently trim them to square, or should I just work around them?

Thanks!

Shauna

Guest cherasia
Don't do this around clear silicone.

2q8musg.jpg

Instead, cut it out square and completely scrape off all of the residue that is left behind. :beer

Thanks Vclimber - that's sort of what I was thinking needed to be done. Gummy, ugly, white silicone all gooped up in the corners. Poor guy who put that in must have been a nube like me! :lol2 D'OH! :thumb

Shauna

Guest vclimber

Just make sure you scrape ALL of that residue off. You'll see a clear haze after you scrape the silicon. That haze cannot remain on the glass or else your film will lift. Have fun! :thumb

Guest VOLTRON

if the windows have metal frames then you can take a hyde scraper (the one with the 4 inch single sided blade) and just run it along the edges. You can do it with a triumoh but the blade tends to break and it usually wont get all the way to the frame. If it is plastic or rubber frames then you will have to use yer knife or be very careful with the hyde scraper.

Guest cherasia

Wood frames. But... I'll have a light duty scrubby and - anyone ever use the Mr. Clean scrubbing thingie to remove stuff from windows? I've used it in the bathroom before, but not on a film job.

BTW,

You guys still rock! :thumb Thanks for the help and advice,

Shauna

Guest vclimber
If it doesn't irritate my skin when I scruib fairly vigorously on it with the scrubby thing, it should be ok for the glass - right?

I don't want to get in trouble here... but what if you have tough skin? :thumb

I'd test it on a piece of glass 1st. Try a small area that no one can see.

Archived