Nube AGAIN! LOL

Guest cherasia

Guest vclimber
We're going to have to do some splicing on this job. Any of you ever splice with PS film? If so, do you have any tips you can share?

Thanks. :thumb

Shauna

Jeez Shauna you are just the magnet for hard tinting! :spit

Use soap and water, don't let the film dry. Some here butt splice and others factory edge to factory edge, however you can experience film seperation from these two techniques. A 1-3mm overlap is a good method if you are using film thinner than 4mil. This will reduce the likelyhood of seperation.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cherasia
Jeez Shauna you are just the magnet for hard tinting! :thumb

Use soap and water, don't let the film dry. Some here butt splice and others factory edge to factory edge, however you can experience film seperation from these two techniques. A 1-3mm overlap is a good method if you are using film thinner than 4mil. This will reduce the likelyhood of seperation.

Thanks Climber!

Yeah, I am a difficult job magnet - seems everything I've ever done starts out as trial by fire. The challenges keep life interesting! ;)

Shauna-

Guest cherasia
Don't forget to "cartwheel" the film so that the same edges join at the seam. :spit

OH MAN! My head just exploded!

:beer

Climber, would you please grace me with an explanation of "cartwheeling?"

:lol2:lol2:lol2:thumb Shauna

Guest vclimber
The color of the film isn't consistent from side to side, so if you are seaming large glass, make sure you use the same side of the film for the seam or you will see a color difference and the customer will as well.

:thumb

If you were to pull the film out of the box and you wanted to seam the left edge, you would have to pull the 2nd piece out and turn it around (Not Over) so that both "left factory" edges now meet.

Guest cherasia
The color of the film isn't consistent from side to side, so if you are seaming large glass, make sure you use the same side of the film for the seam or you will see a color difference and the customer will as well.

Cool! Got it. :thumb Thank you!

:thumb

If you were to pull the film out of the box and you wanted to seam the left edge, you would have to pull the 2nd piece out and turn it around (Not Over) so that both "left factory" edges now meet.

boy did I learn my lesson until I found that one out :thumb

did a silver 20 job. the whole side of the building started to look like:

dark, light, dark , light, dark, light, dark , light :thumb

:beer

I wonder how many of us haven't done that?!? One job I did a few years ago was with V38 or V48 on this huge palladium window that was like 90" wide and needed to be seemed... We got it up and the films didn't match up. I was like - wth? My boss at the time said it was because the one box (we used two boxes during the job) of film was older then the other. :DD

Then a few months ago I was doing a job for another company and we had to seem it and the guy I was working with explained to me why we were flipping the film around.

Funny how the truth always makes sense. lol

Archived