its damn coooold!

Those kerosene/#1 fuel space heaters work very well and produce alot of heat. Usually, the burn 1/2 to 1 gallon of juice in an hour if they are run continuously, but really if your building is isulated in a decent fashion with no major air leaks, kick it on in the morning for 30 minutes to get the walls and floor warmed up, and then every hour or so running it for 5 minutes is usually enough if doors aren't being opened and whatnot. This is if you have the normal furnance running and you are just trying to add a little more heat without working your furnance to death and costing you a fortune.

You can get these for around 200-300 bones new, and they are rated at usually a 3000-4000 sqft heating capability.

They make monsters that can heat over a 10000-15000 sqft area, but they burn like 3-5 gallons of fuel an hour and and cost like 3 grand :thumb

#1 fuel is a little more expensive I believe, but it doesn't have that kerosene smell, runs usually like 2-3 bucks a gallon. So a full 9-11 gallon tank should last you a month roughly depending on how hot you want it and your buildings insualtion/size.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been a long time since I worked at a shop with one of those torpedo style space heaters but it seems like the kerosene seems like it used to mess with my sinus/allergy problems. Does anyone else have problems with that type of heat? or what about the #1 or #2 fuel that some of them run on as well? Do those fuels have less of an effect on sinus/allergy problems

23 and snowing, and up to another 8 inches by friday. Time to get out the sled :beer

Radiant heaters work very well for direct heat, since you open the garage door and most of your heat is gone the radiant heaters can heat the area your working in a lot faster. Propane and kerosene heaters burn my eyes and you have to leave the door cracked so you don't die from carbon monoxide or loss of oxygen.

Archived