Low-e coatings question

Guest lonestartint

Guest darkdan

At my day job I'm a painter so I'm on a lot of construction sites.

I can't imagine how people can screw up the window install. All the windows have this nice big sticker on them that say, "LOW-E GLAZE THIS SIDE IN".

LOL.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it is reverse of that.

1= Outer of the outside pane

2= Inner of the outside pane

3= Outer of the inside pane

4= Roomside of the inside pane or the piece that we usually tint

Ok so 1 is closest to you when standing on the outside. I had it backwards :beer

Forget all of the technical stuff Ralphy.

The ideal setup is to have low E glass which will increase the U value of the window and film which will reject xx% of the solar energy, 99+% UV, and give you some glare control if you want that.

Low E2 is nice but the UV rejection is only around 70% or so which is not ideal. That's all a customer needs to know.

We can tint most of it with the same films that we use on clear glass as long as there is no significant factor that would raise our F2G chart number above the acceptable threashold.

All of the chatter about "hot-boxing" and negating emissivity properties is really nothing to worry about and some of it is down right false.

That's pretty much what I thought, I just wanted to hear it from someone with a bit more experience.

I will try the lighter test to see which surface it is on.

The glass seems to look a bit on the green side when viewed from the outside.

All of the walls are white, so, if you look at them from outside during the evening, you can see the green look against the walls. :bdog

I have no trees in the yard to cause any shadowing or shade effect, I just wanted to be sure before I decided what film to use. :beer

Archived