NJ Tint Laws?

Guest NJdriver21

Guest NJdriver21

I joined in hopes to find some helpful resources about tint laws in New Jersey. I've done the typical "google search" and have seen all the sites that say NO/NO/ANY/ANY 198x.

But I'm looking to find this on an official state website or something like a MVC site. I've tried searching the New Jersey Legislature site as well as the MVC site but can't find exactly what I need. I was recently issued a ticket for having my backwindow tinted, claiming it's illegal, and I feel it's complete BS.

Any help with current tint laws in New Jersey or official sites that provide information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in Manhattan, just across the river from NJ, You can not tint your front driver and passenger window at all! Not even 70%, they must be clear to pass inspection. The law also says you can have any tint on the rear doors and the back window, BUT, you must cut the tint around the 3rd brake light!! If you dont cut out the brake light, you also wont pass inspection, so you may have gotten a ticket for not having the brake light visible.

Guest NJdriver21

Yea I know about the front sides not being allowed to have tint. And the tint is cut around the back brake light. I did that right after inspection, so I know that wasn't it.

The Statute No. 39-3-75 is what I got and when I looked it up, it was talking about Safety Glass and whatnot. So I don't know if there's some law saying it's illegal because it's not safe or something...

But I'll check that one site out.

Thanks for the replys. Keep em' coming.

Guest NJdriver21

Yea I know what the laws are I just don't know where to find them on an OFFICIAL STATE site. Because I was trying to find something to print out and take with me when I go to fight this ticket it in court.

You will not really need to take anything with you to court, since the judge will know the law. As long as your brake light was cut out, and you did not have mirror tint on your car. Then the judge will throw out the ticket instantly. He has no choice to do so, the law is the law, and it is his job to uphold the law! Now is your car registered in jerse? If not then the ticket is also null and void. Because tint laws are only enforceable in the state where the vehicle is registered. If you do not have mirror film, and your brake light is cut out. Then take a pic of the rear of the car, with the license plate in the pic, and show the pic to the judge. By having the plate visible in the pic, it takes away any argument, from the issuing officer. That me have claiming that is not the vehicle that he stopped.

Guest NJdriver21

Yea it's regular tint with a few decals cut into it, but not mirror. The tint is cut around the brake light and the car's registered in Jersey. So I guess I'll just take a pic and take it when I go. Thanks for your help.

Archived