94 Bonneville Alarm Problems

This is on a Factory installed alarm, listed on the Window Sticker as such.

Problem 1: How to prgram the 2nd remote, as it is not programmed for this car.

2nd Problem: Hit the unlock button on the remote, and with the door open or closed, the alarm resets every 30 seconds.

I hit the unlock button, my Daughter and I got into the car. I was showing her some of the features, we hear a "click" where the alarm has reset. The ignition key has the GM chip in it, I put the key in the ignition to start it, but would not start.

Had to hit unlock again, then it started.

Is there a way to keep it from resetting every 30 seconds ?

Guest haroldshouseoftint

is it a factory gm remote? was it listed on the actual Monroni(factory price sticker) or on an added sticker from the dealer? if it a factory alarm it should not set unless you actually push a button on the remote, ford for a long time was installing aftermarket alarms that said ford on the remote, but in reality they were code alarms and they would arm every 30 secs or so :dunno hope this helps

:dunno

Guest CajunTinter

Tintman is correct, it could still be an aftermarket system. I'd recommend you access the ignition harness so you can do a visual inspection and see if there are any aftermarket security devices installed on your car. If I remember correctly that vehicle only had the GM passlock resistor chip in the key and no other form of OEM installed security and therefore would not have any form of passive arming unless it's an add on feature. Hope that kinda helps......

Somehow I am not explaining it correctly.

Listed on the window sticker FROM THE FACTORY is keyless entry & anti theft.

In the Owners handbook, it also refers to the Anti Theft, how to activate, etc.

The Owners Handbook does NOT explain what to do about keeping it from restting every 30 seconds.

That was the reason for the original post.

I think what these folks are trying to explain is..

1) If in fact it is a TRUE factory system ( un-tampered with ) the system should NOT be setting itself...

and

2) There is a good possibility that an add-on system was added to your vehicle at the dealers lot. Lots of dealers will have these 'other' systems installed in the 'hopes' of selling them. They are usually 'piggy backed' onto the factory systems and may make your factory system 'appear' to be doing things when in fact it is a aftermarket system really causing the headache. The easiest way to see is stick your head under the drivers side dash panel and look for aftermarket wiring.. usually ran haphazardly and not 'wrapped' with tape like factory looms.

Best of luck! :lol6

Guest CajunTinter
I think what these folks are trying to explain is..

1) If in fact it is a TRUE factory system ( un-tampered with ) the system should NOT be setting itself...

and

2) There is a good possibility that an add-on system was added to your vehicle at the dealers lot. Lots of dealers will have these 'other' systems installed in the 'hopes' of selling them. They are usually 'piggy backed' onto the factory systems and may make your factory system 'appear' to be doing things when in fact it is a aftermarket system really causing the headache. The easiest way to see is stick your head under the drivers side dash panel and look for aftermarket wiring.. usually ran haphazardly and not 'wrapped' with tape like factory looms.

Best of luck! :lol

:gasp:lol

You can try this... there are a couple different methods for GM remote depending on which system you happen to have. If you do any work for a GM dealer usually they are happy to tell you also.

1. Enter the vehicle and close all doors, make sure the courtesy light is not on.

2. Perform the following within a 10 second time span

1. Turn the ignition to the "ON" position

2. Using the dash mounted courtesy light switch turn the lights ON-OFF, ON- OFF,ON-OFF pausing 1 second between each rotation.

3. Turn ignition off

The locks will now cycle 3 times to indicate vehicle is in programming mode

4. Press the "Lock" button on each remote you want vehicle to recognize, locks will cycle once for each successful recognition

5. When done turn ignition on and then off to exit programming mode

Good Luck!

Archived