What made you choose your film supplier?

Guest vclimber

IMO, tint is tint, atleast when it comes to the major manufactures, there is one company that I will never go back to because of their lack of confidentiality. I have chosen the company I use now because of the rep. if you have a good rep they will help you out when you have problems. some companys will turn their backs on you for $10 in materials, others will help you over and above just to keep your business, and those are the ones that deserve the business.

It makes a big difference dealing with someone who works with you and not against you! :gasp

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
What about you vclimber? You've probably been at this longer than anyone else. What has kept you where you are and how have you been able to overcome the 'glitches' (ie. occassional quality issues - change in service reps - change in owners - increasing product prices, backorders, - to name a few - that anyone in the business for a few years has to have experienced. :gasp

Nah, there's guys on here that have been around longer than me...

No supplier out there perfect but some excel in the abovementioned problems alot more than the others. I've had to learn the hard way like many of you have. I know what won't change; prices will always increase, and reps will come and go. Everything else changes.

Ok, let me just preface every thing by saying that lately I have been curious because there are alot of tint shops turning distributor and selling film. It is nothing new but what I find interesting is that many here have been trying out film from some of these companies. I simply am curious as to what exactly it is that compels them to do this? I'm not judging or promoting anyone in particular, I just want to see what is making things tick.

If I where to pick my first and foremost issue, it would have to be that I like to align myself with suppliers that have the same business philosophy as I do. I believe in getting more out of less so a huge dealer base for a MFG means huge turnover, oversaturation, prostitution of product, and a general devalutaion of you marketplace in most cases. A smaller dealer base needs to be cultivated to produce good results and that takes knowledgable sales Reps that can get in and help dealers in every aspect of thier businesses. MFG's who set up fewer dealers are forced to put more into what they have, they are forced to be more paticular about who they do business with. They are forced to consider the impact of selling directly around thier customers. They are forced to listen and react quickly to the needs of thier dealers. Larger companies have a more difficult time with these issues because of thier size and burocracy.

If you find a company that is making a great product and has a similar business philosophy or plan as you do, from my experience, the rest just falls into place. If you are dealing with a MFG that is the opposite, then your productivity with them is stifled from the get go...

Many here know what I sell and may think the above statement is a contradiction to who I actually deal with. Well, the other factor I mentioned above is film technology. It can't be overlooked or ignored. There are very few innovators in the market, many just copy and paste whatever has already been done. Imports are the rage because now just about anyone can become a distributor of something because it is affordable to do it. But is that always good? :lol I prefer the mfg's who look way downstream and innovate new products that can have a huge impact on the market for dealers. There are just a small few -imo who do this. They are far from perfect, in fact there is not a perfect supplier out there otherwise we'd probably all be using that one. I'm sure as things evolve there will be advances by just about every major mfg at one time or another so that is why the business philosophy takes precidence over the film technology for me...

Guest haroldshouseoftint

Very well said V, you are very well spoken (typed!)

"MFG's who set up fewer dealers are forced to put more into what they have, they are forced to be more paticular about who they do business with."

and I don't think truer words have ever been said JMO :gasp but then again what do I know

:lol:lol

Guest haroldshouseoftint

One who:

1. Has good knowlege of all his/her product lines and comparable knowlege of competors products for comparison or questions you the dealer might have.

2. Avalibility of products, be it film, tools, lituature, shirts, whatever there has been alot of times my rep has gotten things to me I didn't know existed :gasp

3. Someone who could actually help you out if need be, new type of film, new back glass on a car etc etc etc something your having problems with they can step in and say no, try it like this and actually show you.

There have been reps I knew who could tell you anything you wanted to know about film but to actually help you with a problem FORGET about it. :lol

4.Overall (I know its there job but) friendly and avaliable 4:30 on a Friday hey I need film for this job that just came up tommorow morning, will you wait for me or can you meet me somewhere so I can get it, type of situation.

I can say my rep out here is ALL of the above and more, and over the years of dealing with him hes someone I would consider to be a pretty good friend.

Thats my little spew on my idea of what a rep is/should be

I am curious... :hmmm

I see all of these posts about trying films from these new companies that are springing up. What is everybody looking for? What is making you look elsewhere for product? Is it a price driven descision, or is there more to it than how much film costs? :gasp

:lol2:lol:lol2

I tried to check this matter in some topics before :lol2

In reality film price matter only in wholesale business. In case You install film You'd better look on other points. But...Not sure in other businesses, in window film business there are two competing strategies:

1. LifeTime Warranty.

2. Cheaper and cheaper.

There are not so many manufacturers of window film in the world, like brands. Very often You buy same product under different name.

On my mind in case You are installer there must be such points like quality, stuff friendship and support and always on stock items. Price must go after all this points...

IMHO....

:lol2 my English :lol

What about you vclimber? You've probably been at this longer than anyone else. What has kept you where you are and how have you been able to overcome the 'glitches' (ie. occassional quality issues - change in service reps - change in owners - increasing product prices, backorders, - to name a few - that anyone in the business for a few years has to have experienced. :dunno

Ummmmm... all the questions shorty ask and whats with all the questions lately? What kind of film do you use, do you work for them and what size shoe do you wear? :thumb:beer

Archived