films recommended for residential

Guest eshenem

Guest eshenem

Just in case you guys are interested, I decided to get Huper Optik Ceramic 30. It was an easy choice once I got my hands on a Ceramic 30 sample. I've had the it installed few days ago.

Question for you installers - is it difficult to work with? I noticed on most panes there is a small gap on the left lower corner the cut isn't clean (you could see a gap about 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap about an inch in length). Also, some panes there are 1/8 gap on the bottom. I have one bedroom with upper windows one looks good and another has this 1/8-1/4 gap on the bottom. The installer said ceramic 30 is thick and is difficult to work with. I plan to have the owner come and inspect but I wanted to get some feedback from you guys - I am happy with my choice but the workmanship is questionable.

Appreciate any insight you can offer.

Thanks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest filmdit

Feedback or ammo?

Yes that film is thick compared with the standard or norm of 1.5 mil, but it shouldn't create any challenge to someone who is seasoned with an Olfa razor knife. Heck, many install safety film twice as thick as HO and get it consistently clean cut.

The corner issue is from the end sweep of the knife by installer's hand, seems so since it is occurring in the same corner of more than one installed window. A bit more attention to keeping the knif in place at the end of its travel down the edge would clear that up in a snap.

Good luck...

I have used V-Kool and Huper and never have I left a gap that large. With the price our customers are paying for that film I don't think they would let us get away with that.

When I cut the edge of the film I don't use a guide (ie. fiveway tool), I just run my blade along the frame leaving little or no gap at all. :nono

Guest TintsOvOz
Hi,

I had three estimates from 3 different companies. First one recommended Panorama Slate 20 and 30. Other two recommended 3M night vision 25 and 35. They are about 200 dollars different. I thought the night vision is nice and I would be able to see through at night only if the lights outside are on. I'm interested in reducing heat and glare as well as some privacy during the day. Which one is better? Should I get estimate on different type of films?

What kind of questions should I be asking the installers?

Thanks,

Ethan

Once your happy with a color and shade I personally would pay more attention to the installers ability and reputation (as important as brands of film) :shock

Oz............. :thumb

Archived