films recommended for residential

Guest eshenem

Guest eshenem

The owner claimed that the installer has over 20 years of experience and said that he will do a great job. It seems to me that they are the only HO dealer around here - I got the info directly from HO they just gave me one name/number.

I'm attaching two pictures - the first picture you can see the job was done poorly. The second picture basically has a 1/4 gap on the bottom. It is difficult to see in the picture due to light conditions in the room as well as outside.

Based on the feedback I'm getting it sounds like the installer did a lousy job here. I will get in touch with the owner sometime tomorrow. I think they could have done it better.

Thanks.

post-19390-1167340745.jpg

post-19390-1167340758.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber

That corner on the 1st picture is terrible. Gaps should be way less than 1/4" and lines should be cut straight not like in the second picture where it looks like somone sliped with their straight edge. :poke

Guest eshenem

Yeah I agree. I looked at my parents' house the other day they had different film (Vista) installed several years ago and you could tell the job was done very well. You almost couldn't see the gaps.

Vclimber - it sounds like you're located in Colorado...if you're a HO dealer I'd more likely pick you over the other guy. Oh well.

I'll have to see what the owner has to say about the workmanship...

Guest vclimber
Yeah I agree. I looked at my parents' house the other day they had different film (Vista) installed several years ago and you could tell the job was done very well. You almost couldn't see the gaps.

Vclimber - it sounds like you're located in Colorado...if you're a HO dealer I'd more likely pick you over the other guy. Oh well.

I'll have to see what the owner has to say about the workmanship...

Give the owner a chance to make things right, that's only fair. Film brand doesn't necessarily guarantee the quality of an installer. I've installed both brands very well -imo and I have seen both brands installed very poorily as well. Sad to say there are a lot of 20yr installers running around doing poor residential installs, sorry you had to find that out the hard way. Fortunately it is not permanent, they can come back and make it right. Let us know how it turns out. :poke

Guest filmdit
Give the owner a chance to make things right, that's only fair. Film brand doesn't necessarily guarantee the quality of an installer. I've installed both brands very well -imo and I have seen both brands installed very poorily as well. Sad to say there are a lot of 20yr installers running around doing poor residential installs, sorry you had to find that out the hard way. Fortunately it is not permanent, they can come back and make it right. Let us know how it turns out. :thumb

With a high end product such as the film you have chosen, the above recommendation and the commentary on install abilities, comes from one who knows. An owner's outlay for the product and services should be of little consequence when having to keep a reputation intact while carrying a product of stature.

Guest vclimber
With a high end product such as the film you have chosen, the above recommendation and the commentary on install abilities, comes from one who knows. An owner's outlay for the product and services should be of little consequence when having to keep a reputation intact while carrying a product of stature.

:thumb If something is wrong, you make it right. It's good business, if you are going to say you are high end and sell high end products, then your customer service better follow suit. :thumb

That corner on the 1st picture is terrible. Gaps should be way less than 1/4" and lines should be cut straight not like in the second picture where it looks like somone sliped with their straight edge. :thumb

Agree, that first pic is awful. I couldn't really tell on the second pic but from the first pic that is definately not quality workmanship. Once film is installed you should have to look really hard to see where it was trimmed, unless it was 5% then it would be easier to see.

a good installer should not have any problem with this film, do not accept the excuse that it is the thickness that caused installation problems. the fact that you mention the bottom left corners have problems shows that the installer has bad technique/skills when trimming the film. a thin edge margin cut using a five way tool should be acceptable as long as it is clean and straight. make em' redo it.

Archived