how many jobs does it take to cover a box of film

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 21st Century Tints
If we switch to a Korean film one window would pay for the box.

Of course, we'd all be out of business by the end of next year.

Our Koreas would be down the pan :dunno:beer:thumb

Guest Sprinter
Most cars average about 11 feet of film. So a 40"x100' should get around 9 cars if you don't mess up any.

a Lancer evo which is a small 4 door car wiill take almost 17 feet of film to cover it,

on a 100 foot roll of 36" which is used for rear windows only will get you anywhere from a minimum of 20 rear windows and if you do alot of the smaller cars you might get upto 23 rear windows out of the roll.

if you figure 5 feet for every rear window on a car then thats 20 cars with out mess ups.

12 is the # of cars that it takes to pay for the film and still have profit in your pocket if you only take out the cost over a period of cars to pay for the film, now if you just want to take the cost out on the full price of the film then anywhere from 2-3 cars and if you stock up on film of about 7 boxes it will take you 8 cars to pay for all the you just bought. if you only charge 99.95 then it will take you 12 cars to pay for the film and if you are using the Korean film it will only require 5 cars at 99.95 or 3 cars at the medium price across the US.

There are a couple of cars out there that a 36" roll won't do... like the Mitsubishi Ecliplse back glass and the Pontiac Trans Am back glass, and probably others that I am not remembering right now.

You can't expect to do every single car with one-piece installations with just 36" film on the shelf.

damn I guess I stock mad rolls also. 10" limo, 18's, 20's, 24's, 25's, 30's, 36's, and 40's, and thats auto. 3M carries 25's not 24's idk why. and in res. I fully stock all the common films in 36, 48, 60, and 72. yeah im lazy and stock 36's when I have a 72.

if youre in this business you have to dive in. buying film is like putting money in the bank. I do all the work for my film rep and we're pretty tight. when I place a film order it is pretty huge and he delivers it personally to me so I dont have to pay shipping. it does help that he lives near me as well. I dont plan on going out of business anytime soon and I believe in the product I use, so I dont have a problem buying over 40 rolls if the money is there. I worked at a shop where we would sometimes run out and have to drive around to other shops and buy tint. I hated doing it and I never want to have to do that again. I do do it if I have a custom graphic and color job cause I dont stock that stuff, not worth it.

the # of cars doesnt really matter right now. at the end of the year I calculate the percentage of film I bought to the sales and get a percentage. in my business as long as the number is under 20% that means I didnt waste a lot of tint.

I hope to get that number lower when I can raise my prices even higher. my business is now 2 years old and we are doing really good. almost duplicating the numbers of the shop I worked for and managed for 7 years. that shop when I left had to raise their prices due less work they could do a week. most of the other shops around here have raised their prices about fifty dollars within the past 2 years and I have kept mine the same to accumulate clients and word of mouth referrals. by this next summer I should be able to raise my prices also and get my materials % to around 16-18% which will be better.

Archived