What would you say

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats an easy one. "thats what tint costs, you may find it a little cheaper and a little more expensive. its up to you to make a deciscion whats the best product and the best price...... my work....."

I had a customer that called around, found out the price per sqaure foot calculated materials and said my price was only a couple hundred less than everyone else. he wanted r20 so I was able to lower my price a little cause the windows were all 57x57 and it was cheaper film. then he then gave me the stats on how much I would be making per hour and then stated that was rediculous. he said the last guy said the job could be finished in a day and a half, one man job. he then calculated what he thought it was worth paying per hour to put the stuff up. he put out a figure less than half my quote and said youd still be making such and such an hour. I told him to buy the tint you needed off the guy that told you how much it was a sqaure foot, try putting one up yourself, then let me know.

I already had the business address so I cruised by and saw one window tinted, bad too. to this day its not tinted at all, the bad window is even off.

you just cant please some, we can try but im in this business to help people out AND make money at the same time.

Guest tintman AZ

Although I wouldn't say this to a customer, and it seems to apply more toward autos. And yes I did swipe it from someone else on here. It sure would be nice to let them know, People think you open the box and film flies over and installs itself!! You have to cut it,shrink it remove all the dog hairs,lint,stickers etc..tape it/remove stuff like panels/brake lights/decks/ felt it etc..stand up/bend/crawl/reach/push/pull........Oh by the way the shop is rent free/no utilities and there's some window film trees in the back/The family is fasting this year!!so we're good!! thumb.gif

I'd tell him that he has a good question... He can be comforted to know that you are not ripping him off because your prices are in line with the competitor's. There are many expenses involved in bringing quality products and quality work into consumer's homes, especially at great distances. As a business owner, you would settle for nothing less than the best possible product and install in your own home and that is simply what you are trying to provide for him and the rest of your customers.

It is understandable that everyone wants the best value for thier dollar, but I always use the quotes in my signature to help them understand value does not equate to the cheapest price... :beer

Now I know how you close all those deals out there. :thumb

well hello! yea!

of course your suppose to be that way, you have to "political" and not be bothered by a person of that nature to bother you. saying "sorry I cant help you" is just I think unprofessional. most likely he is bluffing about you being in line about being in the same price range, most likely you have given him a better deal than the rest. this business is sometimes about mind games. if you are desperate for work then you might lower your price. you just have to explain to him why it is that you are chargin, the type of film you are using, etc etc.

:beer

Guest 2chase3

Oh man, for me it would depend on the way my day was going to answer this correctly.

If it were a good day. I would probably say something on the lines ,As much as I looked seems I cant find anyone willing to give me the material and labor for free. but as soon as I did, since he being the only one to ever ask me this question I would surely put him in my Fav 5 and start the day after?

On a bad day. I would simply ask him How much his time was worth to him? and what line of work he was in and if he was negotiable on his terms/salary? with a follow up of "I dont do this for practice,fun,health or a Hobby". :krazy

Guest 2chase3
Oh man, for me it would depend on the way my day was going to answer this correctly.

If it were a good day. I would probably say something on the lines ,As much as I looked seems I cant find anyone willing to give me the material and labor for free. but as soon as I did, since he being the only one to ever ask me this question I would surely put him in my Fav 5 and start the day after?

On a bad day. I would simply ask him How much his time was worth to him? and what line of work he was in and if he was negotiable on his terms/salary? with a follow up of "I dont do this for practice,fun,health or a Hobby". :krazy

Following up with #2 after I found out what he did, I would play his Alpha male inside by stating "yea I can see you guys taking partial salaries you guys make big bucks!. with that comes a little gloat along with alittle pride and just enough room for you to be back in on the deal.! :nope However if he works the second line of Mcdonalds resort back to a good day.

I'm glad someone dug up this old thread so I can update you all.

He called me the other day, because he had the other local shop tint his windows. There were bubbles, scratches and streaks all in the film, and he wanted to know what to do. I told him politely to call the shop who installed the film, and he said he could not get in touch with them. I told him I could re-do it if he was dissatisfied, but now there will also be a film removal charge. And his comment was, why so much, you are to expensive. :nope:krazy

It seems people with money think they are entitled to special treatment.

If I felt like a smartass that day he called back........My answer would've been something like.....

"You get what you pay for", "Why screw with the rest, when you could've had the best"..

Cheap work isn't good and good work isn't cheap.....

Archived