What would you say

I'm glad someone dug up this old thread so I can update you all.

He called me the other day, because he had the other local shop tint his windows. There were bubbles, scratches and streaks all in the film, and he wanted to know what to do. I told him politely to call the shop who installed the film, and he said he could not get in touch with them. I told him I could re-do it if he was dissatisfied, but now there will also be a film removal charge. And his comment was, why so much, you are to expensive. :hmmm:lol

:lol2 I'd have to say that guy got his just desserts. Everything that man does probably goes the same way, want something cheap, it IS, then he's not happy...blah, blah, blah. People like that are never happy. Thats why Mr P. said to basically not touch that job with a ten foot pole. Some people are not worth the stress. :hmmm

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West
:thumb I'd have to say that guy got his just desserts. Everything that man does probably goes the same way, want something cheap, it IS, then he's not happy...blah, blah, blah. People like that are never happy. Thats why Mr P. said to basically not touch that job with a ten foot pole. Some people are not worth the stress. :nope

Lady, you hit the nail squarely on the thumb!!! They want it cheap, and they want it to be PERFECT!!! Cheapo people are the customers from hell!! :beer:beer

As for the guy who thought he could replace the widows for that price my reply would be "Try it!"

And to the guy who already had someone else screw the pooch on his house and STILL thought you were too high :thumb , you dodged a bullet on that one!! Be happy! :hmmm

I had a customer call today wanting to get a house tinted, approx. 5 to 6 hundred square.

Customer asked for a ball park price per square foot. I gave him my range on a basic solar bronze he wanted. He knew this because he has had another tint shop install diffrent film samples on his house already for him to choose. He gives me the ol' poor mouth routine while explaining that this is his lake house. Then he says that my price is roughly the same that he has already gotten, and wanted to know why it costs so much to tint.

What would you guys, and gals, say to this customer? Bare in mind that he is not polite, very confrontational.

And I just found out by someone who has done work for this guy, that the house is 2.5 hours away from me.

I know this is kinda an old post but for future ref.... I usually say (if I'm to booked to deal with it) I'll be glad to take your name and # and have a dealer in your area get back to you. (I call whoever I deal with or know in there area and warn them, and give customer info.) I NEVER do over the phone quotes on more than 1 piece of glass EVER!! You don't know what your getting your azz into over the phone. If you might want the job just say sorry I can do an over the phone estimate I would be more than happy to come out and give you a free no obligation est. If they bolt then theyre just phone shoppin' never doin' anyhow. :lol2 Ya know the cost of doin' biz is maybe drivin' 2 hrs for an est. that never goes. :thumb

Guest the rookie

tell him theres a big difference between you and the competition.

tell him he,s paying for quality workmanship.

let em know you dont slap it on you apply it. your cuts are clean your work looks awesome and you take your time to make sure it,s top quality by the time it,s all done.

and you realy charge $150.00 more than the competition on a job like this . but by doing it you know everyone that sees it will want to know who did it and whats the number.

so please tell them I did it but dont tell them what I am charging you cuz it,s not my normal price im giving you a deal. :spit

Guest deanjones

People that have a lot of money are some of the hardest people to please with price, but this makes absolute sense to me. Hard working "rich people" didn't "just get rich". They made smart money a business decisions and they truly understand the value of a dollar. Them shopping around for the cheapest price makes sense. However, some of them go overboard with it.

There are people like my father that played with car parts in his dirt front yard as a kid, worked a full-time job and went to college full-time while managing to be married to my mother and having 1 child already and working his way up to owning his own construction business and making great sums of money. He didn't get this money easily... he understands the value of a dollar, but also understands the value of value. :nope My father pays for quality, but he doesn't pay anymore than he has to. He shops around for the quality he thinks is best and then finds the best price for that quality.

Then there are people that got great sums of money by cheap-skating their way through business and life. I know these types of guys as well. They provided cheap products for their customers due to price and charge a premium for it to make money. I know some tint shops that do this too. :spit However, this doesn't just exist within their business practices, but overflows throughout their life.

Of course, then there are the people that won the lottery or inherited large sums of money and they can go 1 or 3 ways. My fathers way, the cheap skate way or the "I don't care, I just got free money!" way. :nope

I think vclimbers response was golden. Granted, this guy you dealt with was rude, but it makes sense that he thinks you're expensive. Don't take it personally... this guy is just trying to find the best bang for his buck. Which isn't an irresponsible or dumb decision at all. He just should have been a little nicer about it.

Archived