DPS same as Dry adhesive?

Hey,

I am pretty sure I already know that the title is false, but wanted to ask the others here and see. My SunGard sales rep said today that the Detactified PS is the same as a dry adhesive and I was sure that dry was totally different....... :)

thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
totally and completely different

detac is crap

....according to some lab rats

Yep, Zo's right. You need a new rep, he should know better. :)

DPS="Training wheels" for flat glass PS adheasive users... DPS has a "Detacified" coating that makes the PS adheasive less sticky so you can work with it easier on the glass. It is essentially PS adheasive underneath where dry adheasive is totally different in it's compostition, structure, etc.

Guest filmdit

Detack is an alcohol based coating placed on liner before it gets laminated to the pressure sensitive adhesive product. It stays on the adhesive once the liner is removed at install and the installer is required to flush it away with application solution.

This Rep most likely meant it is similar to dry adhesive in that you can drop reverse roll with either detack or dry-chemical adhesive. You just need be sure you have plenty of water on the glass so the detackifier will get moist enough to be flushed away during the squeegee process.

Guest Key West
Detack is an alcohol based coating placed on liner before it gets laminated to the pressure sensitive adhesive product. It stays on the adhesive once the liner is removed at install and the installer is required to flush it away with application solution.

This Rep most likely meant it is similar to dry adhesive in that you can drop reverse roll with either detack or dry-chemical adhesive. You just need be sure you have plenty of water on the glass so the detackifier will get moist enough to be flushed away during the squeegee process.

So.........Who pioneered this process in th '70s? Renember to phrase your answer as a question! :)

Guest Key West
Yep, Zo's right. You need a new rep, he should know better. :lol2

DPS="Training wheels" for flat glass PS adheasive users... DPS has a "Detacified" coating that makes the PS adheasive less sticky so you can work with it easier on the glass. It is essentially PS adheasive underneath where dry adheasive is totally different in it's compostition, structure, etc.

As a flat glass installer, I can assure you that a DPS/or dry adhesive is much more appropriate, and a PS adhesive is much more welcomed in the auto biz, :lol2:):):) (Oh.....and yes I do cars too)

Guest vclimber
As a flat glass installer, I can assure you that a DPS/or dry adhesive is much more appropriate, and a PS adhesive is much more welcomed in the auto biz, :):):):lol2 (Oh.....and yes I do cars too)

I find it unnecessary and kind of a pain to rinse the detac off. If you are installing in direct sun, and that does happen occasionally, the detac is harder to flush out and leaves a haze if you do not get it all out. A good FG installer can install PS adheasive films without the detac. :lol2

thanks all, just wanted to check myself. I knew it was, but he was insistant. He is not liking that I have switched all my auto to Llumar and would have changed my flat to lulu also if not for a large stockpile that I am getting rid of. I will be switching the flat as well in the future.

I have never liked the detac coating and FTI had issues with some this last year in that it would be thick and nasty and if you pressed hard it would leave lines....they would come out in a few days, but try and tell someone that the film looks even worse than normal solution remains and it will dry out.....ugh.

Guest vclimber
thanks all, just wanted to check myself. I knew it was, but he was insistant. He is not liking that I have switched all my auto to Llumar and would have changed my flat to lulu also if not for a large stockpile that I am getting rid of. I will be switching the flat as well in the future.

I have never liked the detac coating and FTI had issues with some this last year in that it would be thick and nasty and if you pressed hard it would leave lines....they would come out in a few days, but try and tell someone that the film looks even worse than normal solution remains and it will dry out.....ugh.

Filmdit are you going to take back the drop rolling theory? CP's getting an order! :)

yeah, this detac coat would not come off without far more flushing than I care to do. I used almost a full gallon of fluid to flush one job and it was 50 square feet or so......still had issues. I even took one piece back off the window and flooded it when I knew it had an issue....

so heres to the DPS........

Archived