Steel wool what type how fine?

Guest skin76

Guest tophertinter

OK Gentlemen. Maybe I can help here. I've used and still use nylon "scrubbie" pads and 000 steel wool. Both work well. Yes it is possible however unlikely that steel wool remnants could leave rust spots. If you clean well you should not have any steel particles left near the tint. Here's another "trick". Find a MALCO detailing supplier. They have a product called SYSTEM 1 glass cleaner. You dilute this product in half and it is still strong enough to "melt" even the most stubborn of old glues. BE CAREFUL THOUGH! This product is blue and will stain or even bleach interior panels. Wipe it off of these trim pieces immediately. You can use paper towels to remove the old glue in some cases. Thanks.

p.s. Don't forget to use liners and sun to start things off... makes profit even better if you can have one warming up while you are working on another car. :beer

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tophertinter

Also... those rust spots, they may be "slag" from the cars production. I know you guys have run across cars that have pits "all over" the glass. These pits are what's left when hot metal hits cold glass. You are left with either a popped out "pit" or minute metal particles. ??? maybe...??? :beer

Guest Blitztint

I steam the rear glass off then I use steel wool and a product called Shift It by Kenco it softens the glue up real well then I will use the steamer on it again and steel wool at same time comes off real easy. Now I don't know if you guys in America can get hold of this stuff :poke but also it won't hurt any of the interior as it can be used as an interior cleaner.

Guest mhun9180

We only use 00 steel wool and have never had a problem with them scratching. After I use them I do squeegee at least twice to make sure there's no fine pieces left. :beer

Archived