Rain on the parade

Guest filmdit

Guest filmdit
Yes, that is a good thing to keep in mind although weather can turn on you real quick this time of year...

Is this a subcontracted installer error or was this a company employed installer?

Owner/Operator

Whoops... go to go... meet time.

Thanks again

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would with what Vclim suggested. if you charged a decent to the point where you can still survive for a removal and reinstallation. the way to go without using insurance, having lawsuits, and gettting shot at :thumb

next time. I would suggest not to tint anything thats exterior when the overcast is really cloudy. im pretty sure they tinted those windows while it was raining. doesnt this stuff dry quick? :thumb

we work alot in the city. but when we see its going to rain. we dont do anything. SF is always cloudy though :thumb

Guest vclimber

The funny part is that 1199 cures pretty fast. 20 minutes or so and it tacks up. This guy must have installed it while it was raining or something? I don't see how all 2000 sq ft could go at once. The first window would set up before the second one was finished...

Guest filmdit

The numbers as well as detail given are partly hypothetical to guard this person's anonymity.

I agree VC, it cannot be as bad as it has been communicated to me unless they disregarded the fact that rain was already coming down and may have not been divulged to avoid any embarrassment. :thumb

I would try Simple Green and use pantyhose to wipe it off. I worked for several years in the printing industry and the printing plates were very vulnerable to scratching so we used several pairs of wadded up pantyhose to clean ink off of them. I can understand your reluctance to use harsh solvents, but I believe Simple green is pretty harmless, it's sold at auto part stores or Lowes.

Install 2000 sq ft of exterior Kynar, seal edges with Dow 1199 only to have a ten-day relentless rain period begin at the end of the install day.

Result? Dow 1199 mixed with water having flowed all over the film surface and has now dried.

What approach would you take to bring this to resolution without incurring financial loss?

In other words, how to go about removing the smeared, cured, 1199 silicone sealant from the Kynar surface without damaging it?

You poor bugger!

You're in more poo than Kenny the dunny diver.

That feels like tears coming on Fimdit. :thumb

Devil

An Aero Brand Citrus Cleaner would be our first try, and a neutral curing silicone would have been the correct sealant. As well as sealing the points that have been "burned" or covered with the original sealant and removed.

Archived