mmm dealers

Guest darkdan

Talk them out of it. IIRC 3M's low-e film has a shorter warranty period than regular film.

And chances are if they're losing that much heat through the window it's from a draft and not just going through the glass.

Sell them a good solar control film and the summer energy savings will help offset the winter heating.

Also IIRC, the numbers for windows (heat gain, u-value, etc) are not for just the window, but also the framing system. Keep that in mind.

Guest vclimber
Talk them out of it. IIRC 3M's low-e film has a shorter warranty period than regular film.

And chances are if they're losing that much heat through the window it's from a draft and not just going through the glass.

Sell them a good solar control film and the summer energy savings will help offset the winter heating.

Also IIRC, the numbers for windows (heat gain, u-value, etc) are not for just the window, but also the framing system. Keep that in mind.

True Dan but there is much more to this story... The custmer wants low E film because they were supposed to have low E glass installed. Contractor is trying to cover his tail by using low E film to do the job instead of replace the glass...

Guest Tintin' Magician

Makes me scared to build a home, contractors today seem to only use your requests as a guideline and not the gospel. If I'm payin' for a custom built home, I want what I want, not what you think you can get away with.

Guest darkdan
True Dan but there is much more to this story... The custmer wants low E film because they were supposed to have low E glass installed. Contractor is trying to cover his tail by using low E film to do the job instead of replace the glass...

Once again, if he explains the benefits of regular film over the super shiny low-e film and get the customer off of having their heart set on something with the word "low-e" in it then everyone wins.

Customers gets a good performing solar control film.

Contractor saves his rear end.

I'm guessing in SC the low-e windows there are aimed at SGH reduction and not trying to keep in the warmth. So a regular film would fit the "low-e"ness of that area.....does that make the least bit of sense?

Once again, if he explains the benefits of regular film over the super shiny low-e film and get the customer off of having their heart set on something with the word "low-e" in it then everyone wins.

Customers gets a good performing solar control film.

Contractor saves his rear end.

I'm guessing in SC the low-e windows there are aimed at SGH reduction and not trying to keep in the warmth. So a regular film would fit the "low-e"ness of that area.....does that make the least bit of sense?

I agree it makes since, but this guy is a military yank, no offense, who is a real detail nut. I guess where he's from, low-e is the best for glass in all climate conditions. Our climate is warm 3/4 of the year, so a good solar control film would be better. Man, my a/c is on right now a week from Christmas. :rollin:rollin

Guest vclimber

The problem a lot of times is that people think low E is giving them solar heat gain control but unless it is low E2 then they are only getting glass that is designed to keep heat in.

Archived