Watch out for laminated glass!!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need to panic if you have a vehicle that has laminated glass either in the side windows or rear screen.

Just common sense, dont use as much heat, heat on 1st setting on your heat gun and keep it moving not concentrating on 1 area too much. If you are like me and trim the top edge, sqeegee and then heat, I usually do as I always do but dont file or shave the top edge immediately after heating, do the other doors, qtrs etc and then come back to the first one and finnish the top edge.

Rear screens, merc, volvo etc just have to take your time and keep that heat moving.

Sometimes you are more likely to distort the interlayer of laminated glass with too much heat.

Bob

These roll up lam/s are showing up more and more on the F/D's of trucks more and more lately, I only keep a torch around to unlock the frozen steel gates... seems too extreme for tint work. It can only increase spontainious thermal glass breakage :beer .. in the winter months.. even on tempered glass. This does not apply to the desert states .. the glass is already scorced when the auto drives in.

Guest filmdit

Preshrink using dry shrink, sides and back, and there should be no need to heat glass surfaces, right? :beer

If you have the funds to put out (roughly $25-30) three times a year, I would suggest purchasing a Nags book on automotive glass. This book is my source for knowing where lami glass is being used.

http://www.nags.com/theCat.asp

http://www.nags.com/PurchasePubs.asp

Guest VaTinterPMan

Yeah there has been alot more of lam. glass coming out. esp on cry. the 300m I think and the cts have it. correct me if im wrong havnt done one in awhile.

Dang you guys really have it in for torch users! :thumb There is a time for the heatgun and a time for the torch( if you have the experience). Sure I have seen damage from misuse of a torch and nobody likes to pay for that.

Just a couple minutes more for a blowdryer? 10 seconds with a well placed torch sweep and you are moving on!

My daughter uses a blow dryer :trustme

Nothing against those who shy away from the torch work, but results being the same, I'd rather be done sooner than later.

Dang you guys really have it in for torch users! :nono There is a time for the heatgun and a time for the torch( if you have the experience). Sure I have seen damage from misuse of a torch and nobody likes to pay for that.

Just a couple minutes more for a blowdryer? 10 seconds with a well placed torch sweep and you are moving on!

My daughter uses a blow dryer :trustme

Nothing against those who shy away from the torch work, but results being the same, I'd rather be done sooner than later.

Candy is Dandy but Lickur is quicker.... :nono ..... that said you better watch what you are doing with a flame thrower. :thumb

Mr Rogers

Archived