94 bonneville rear window

want2modmygt

Hi

Ive been around tint for like 2 years now, but I only do this occasionally when I'm asked. I'm doing a 94 bonneville this week (again) and I need some tips for the rear window. I tried tinting this car once already, but had no luck. the back window was a pita to shrink. Any other tips on tinting this car?

On another topic, I've been reading about people removing the gasket on the side doors... how do you do this? It would make life so much easier!

thanks!

the rear window on that car will lay down wet without shrinking the bottom at all and very small if any fingers at the top. I am not sure about the window gaskets on this old of one. The newer ones in the Grand Prix will pull up easy enough but I think yours are attached to the door panels.

Just take your time and lay the film on the outside. Across the middle then work down and up. If you want to trust me then you don't even need to lay down the bottom just anchor the line about half way across the window and work out the little bit at the top of the glass. The only thing that might be hard is the bottom corners may try to pop back off when laying it inside, but if you have someone who can help with a bit of heating on the glass just before and while you squeege that part......no problem at all.

Guest haroldshouseoftint

:lol2

no heat on the bottom of back glass at all and 5 - 7 fingers at the top of glass, I just did a 96 2 door grand prix this morning, and the rubbers came right out pulled a screw by the door handle, one up in front top of panel and one under the plastic cover by where seat belt goes into door and pulled panel back about an 1" and pulled em out no problem but 94 may still be attached to the panel not sure on that one :beer

so I only need to shrink the top half? I'll give it a try. also, do you back roll the tint to put it in the inside of the car?

one more thing... the car's quarter windows have rubber right to the window. how do you get the tint to sit flush without pushing back up against this? It's similar to the new Ford Fusions.

you guys are kings, thanks a bunch

Guest haroldshouseoftint

one of 3 things, either cut it absolutly perfect, pull the 1/4's out or trim a little of the rubber out around the 1/4 if you do that BE VERY CAREFUL as to not score the glass or cut too much rubber out or cut it unevenly then it is very noticable that it has been trimmed :thumb

Good Luck :lol6

Guest tintman AZ

I take alot of dr panels off. Those I don't. PITA (I believe). So I use masking tape, to tape back the gaskets. Problem with that is you better get it right the first time. Because it won't hold long.

Guest MidcoastMW
Carry it to a pro-thats not a car for a beginner! JMO!

Not too toot my own horn, but I got in one piece with a little less than a year exp. (wasnt easy tho :beer ) Except I didnt shrink it at all like you guys are reccomending. I did a fabric softner shrink with an anchor in the middle.....didnt work, so I tried again with the anchor about 1-2" BELOW the top line frit area.... and shrunk EVERYTHING at the bottom. worked great. :sign

bonnyshrink003.jpg

and here was a progress pic...... I remember I was so happy I made it that far after shrinking it all from just below the frit lines, I had to take a pic before a possible downward spiral, :DD

bonnyshrink001.jpg

So if it dosent work for ya without shrinking the bottom, reverse your attack, and shrink EVERYTHING at the bottom. :sign

Archived