can you heat gun the new lexus's front window's with the lamin

Guest samo2000

Guest Sprinter

the glass will take some heat but not the extream you should figure it out if your hand can't stand it on the inside while heating from the outside then your teetering on breaking it.

Guest filmdit
I heat the top edge of lami glass all the time to help tack it up before I file the edge (due to plotters uneven edge). I have never had a problem heating laminated glass. I definently don't heat it as much as tempered glass though. :ohcrap And I always heat it on the outside.

Hey Pro... If you are succeeding, it is a result of keeping the edge temperature below the 50 degree threshold difference from the center. Lami is annealed and will break much more easily than tempered as we know... thermal shock leading to cracked glass occurs when the temperature difference from glass center to glass edge exceeds 50 degrees F, it is a 200 degree threshold for tempered.

Best way to deal with film and lami, of course, is to shrink to fit prior to install and any heating after install be done interior and with a low heat... even if it takes a hair dryer to play it safe. Anything outside of this usually has everyone washing their hands of it.

By the way, did your distributor ever get that certificate to you?

Guest Sprinter
Good maybe to put it......so how long does it take with w/s for most people that do them....

I would say that since it will be an outsider install that 1/2 hour would be typical but give yourself 45 min and don't forget to clean off the hood and top of car, I would also say to just spray the film and not the windshield when you go to intall it or you'll run the risk of having dirt run down the middle of the windshield or specks all over it, and to make it more easier use to people for the install.

Hey Pro... If you are succeeding, it is a result of keeping the edge temperature below the 50 degree threshold difference from the center. Lami is annealed and will break much more easily than tempered as we know... thermal shock leading to cracked glass occurs when the temperature difference from glass center to glass edge exceeds 50 degrees F, it is a 200 degree threshold for tempered.

Best way to deal with film and lami, of course, is to shrink to fit prior to install and any heating after install be done interior and with a low heat... even if it takes a hair dryer to play it safe. Anything outside of this usually has everyone washing their hands of it.

By the way, did your distributor ever get that certificate to you?

I knew that overheating would cause problems. But the part about 50 deg. from center is nice to know :thumb

And NO I never got the cert. My Dist. wouldn't sell Magnum to us because they said they didn't have anything on file. :beer WHERE IS MY CERTIFICATE? :tantrum

Guest rcaman

I found a set of tips for the wagner heat gun and the fav is the cone tip, it funnels the heat into a sharp tip, this way you dont burn the rubber, look for them at your local Home depot

Archived