Too much knowledge is dangerous

Consumers! :lol6

I got asked the best question ever today and that was by a foreign woman who asked "if the film is cancer forming?"

What the hell she meant by that is anyone's guess but me thinks she has rung up too many tint shops over the phone for information. :lol6

Beat that one!

Devil

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Causes cancer to whom, the customer or installer?

Our products are petroleum based. Petroleum is a carcinogen. There are quite a few brands that have a strong solvent smell when you pull back the release liner, and especially when the product fails in a vehicle.

I quit carrying one brand because my guys complained their lips felt numb after the installs.

I remember many years ago, a large brand was having problems with their auto line. When you removed the film, you would gag on the solvent smell. The feedback I had gotten, was they were using too much solvent during the rinsing process.

Most of us use our teeth to break open the release liner and we use it our teeth as our third hand installing the film. There has to be leaching of solvents into our mouths. I know it has to be a very small amount, but how long of installing does it take to cause problems?

Guest Key West
Causes cancer to whom, the customer or installer?

Our products are petroleum based. Petroleum is a carcinogen. There are quite a few brands that have a strong solvent smell when you pull back the release liner, and especially when the product fails in a vehicle.

I quit carrying one brand because my guys complained their lips felt numb after the installs.

I remember many years ago, a large brand was having problems with their auto line. When you removed the film, you would gag on the solvent smell. The feedback I had gotten, was they were using too much solvent during the rinsing process.

Most of us use our teeth to break open the release liner and we use it our teeth as our third hand installing the film. There has to be leaching of solvents into our mouths. I know it has to be a very small amount, but how long of installing does it take to cause problems?

30 years!!! And lets not forget our freind Carpal Tunnel!!

Guest Tom Cat

I have always wondered about what type of good stuff is released when heat shrinking film. I didn't really notice it until I switched from using Suntek to using mmm and Johnsons.

Archived