building a ladder rack

Looking for advice and tips on trying to rig up a ladder rack for my truck cap. I have a small dodge dakota with a cap on it that has quite a bow on the top, making it hard to buy racks that fit it. I talked with a cap company that suggested just running alum piping across and drilling holes and just bolting it down to the cap ribs on the inside. (the cap is metal, not alum) If I knew had to post pictures on here I would have attached a pict of the cap. I was also thinking about trying to use just pvc piping too. But of course I do want it to look respectable too, don't want to look too tacky and really come off as a fly by nighter.

Hahaaa, probably my best bet is to have a local welder rig up something for me. Any thoughts and idea's are appreciated very much.

- SF

for me, most jobs, I have "multi-ladders" that I use and can reach up to about 20 feet high with the ladders. I carry them INSIDE of my cavalier.....

but if you must have long, old fashioned, extension ladders then get yourself a good ladder carrier. I have a friend that works in plumbing and heating. His work van has a hinged carrier that is just too cool. Puts the ladder up nice and when you swing it down you can reach it very easy....should be able to get one for your application.

We sell lots of these to contractors. They can be removed if you want also if your not carrying around a ladder like on the weekends.

http://www.aztrucks.com/category.asp?product=126

Home Depot sells one and its pretty cheep :thumb just put one at the front and back and your set. They unbolt adn the top part slides out and the base stays bolted to the truck if you want.

Thanks for responding guys. I need it mainly to carry just a 12' fiberglass A frame ladder and maybe an extention ladder if I need it. I realize with the little giant kind of ladder it would all fit right inside the truck bed. Im used to using an A frame ladder too, believe it or not. Its still good to have a ladder rack in some cases. So the type Im looking for would be two pieces of piping across the cap itself where you lay the ladder on that. I don't need the flip down kind either, simple to lift off the top of my cap, its only 2 wheel drive and sits rather low. Thanks for trying anyway.

Archived