Can you use Defroster after getting windows tinted

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 21st Century Tints

im gonna try it tomorrow with the heated rear on and see.

I might find it easier :shock

Edited by 21st Century Tints

Guest 1PEECBARETTA
Someone once posted here about this. They turned the defrosters on too soon and the water under the film caused arcing on the defroster and the window shattered.

Just a heads up :shock

I find that hard to believe

I find that hard to believe

It's 12 vdc current, doesn't like to arc

I used to turn the defrost on as soon as it was done to speed up drying...till I heard some nightmare storys (probably old wives tales) about the problems with that...now I tell the customer to wait a couple of days. I never had a problem....so who knows...but if ya wanna be on the super safe side...wait a couple of days! :drevil

Someone once posted here about this. They turned the defrosters on too soon and the water under the film caused arcing on the defroster and the window shattered.

Just a heads up :lol6

I heard that here too, a couple of years ago. I think maybe that happened cause the tinter trimmed around the defroster tabs after installing the film. That would scratch the metal with the blade, and if scratched all the way around it could create a gap that could cause high potential differential voltage that the 12V would want to jump across. These are all highly unlikely, so the chance of all those things happening, would be less than getting hit by lightning.

And then... it would be better for the owner to use the defrosters while the tint is still wet, because water conducts electricity and would bridge, or conduct across, that gap. After the film dries there would be more of a chance of a high electrical potential to heat up the window, and damage the glass.

I have never told anyone not to turn them on! :lol6

Same here... because of my above comments. I would win the lottery faster than the extremely small change that there could be damage.

I heard that here too, a couple of years ago. I think maybe that happened cause the tinter trimmed around the defroster tabs after installing the film. That would scratch the metal with the blade, and if scratched all the way around it could create a gap that could cause high potential differential voltage that the 12V would want to jump across. These are all highly unlikely, so the chance of all those things happening, would be less than getting hit by lightning.

And then... it would be better for the owner to use the defrosters while the tint is still wet, because water conducts electricity and would bridge, or conduct across, that gap. After the film dries there would be more of a chance of a high electrical potential to heat up the window, and damage the glass.

Same here... because of my above comments. I would win the lottery faster than the extremely small change that there could be damage.

I have had one instance where the customer turned defrost on next morning after tinting and had air pockets run down every line. totally unrepairable, so we tell customers to wait 2 weeks now to be on the safe side. Film was sungard desertsmoke, maybe that's why it did it :thumb .