going from dryer sheet to powder

Guest Rubes

Maybe it's just me but over shrinking comes from "over shrinking" the film, not because of the stuff you are useing between the film and the glass.

Sometimes I don't use anything between the film and the glass and if I end up overshrinking the film it's because I wasn't paying attention. :thumb

I had frequent problems with overshrinking when I used to use the powder shrink method.

It stems from the fact that as you shrink, the film moves toward the area where you are shrinking, pulling the film too tight in that area and leaving buckled areas in the vicinity. When you use powder, there's nothing keeping this from happening because the film moves around unrestricted. The soap shrink, however, tends to make the film stick to the glass a little bit, so that you are less likely to overshrink in any given area.

It's really easy to understand when you visualize shrinking film that's hanging freely in mid-air. film will melt in seconds when heated if it's not touching anything, whereas a piece of film laying against glass can be heated much longer without damage.

In Short, USE THE SOAP METHOD!

shrink the hard cars slowly, if you shrink it too fast, it will reach it's limit quicker, I assume you're getting to the point where it's not shrinking anymore and you're trying to force it, therefore "over shinking" it, slow down, and try a lower heat setting.....

Archived