HOUSE BILL 1163

R5 7lr2909

By: Delegate Myers

Introduced and read first time: February 19, 2007

Assigned to: Rules and Executive Nominations

A BILL ENTITLED

1 AN ACT concerning

2 Vehicle Laws ? Display of Anatomically Correct Body Parts ? Prohibition

3 FOR the purpose of prohibiting a person from displaying on a motor vehicle a certain

4 item that depicts or resembles anatomically correct, less than completely and

5 opaquely covered, human or animal genitals, human buttocks, or human female

6 breasts; applying a certain penalty to the offense; and generally relating to the

7 display of items on a motor vehicle.

8 BY adding to

9 Article ? Transportation

10 Section 21?1127

11 Annotated Code of Maryland

12 (2006 Replacement Volume and 2006 Supplement)

13 BY repealing and reenacting, without amendments,

14 Article ? Transportation

15 Section 27?101(b)

16 Annotated Code of Maryland

17 (2006 Replacement Volume and 2006 Supplement)

18 SECTION 1. BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF

19 MARYLAND, That the Laws of Maryland read as follows:

20 Article ? Transportation

21 21?1127.

EXPLANATION: CAPITALS INDICATE MATTER ADDED TO EXISTING LAW.

[brackets] indicate matter deleted from existing law.

*hb1163*

2 HOUSE BILL 1163

1 A PERSON MAY NOT DISPLAY ON A MOTOR VEHICLE ANY MODEL, SIGN,

2 STICKER, OR OTHER ITEM THAT DEPICTS OR RESEMBLES ANATOMICALLY

3 CORRECT, LESS THAN COMPLETELY AND OPAQUELY COVERED, HUMAN OR

4 ANIMAL GENITALS, HUMAN BUTTOCKS, OR HUMAN FEMALE BREASTS.

5 27?101.

6 (b) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any person convicted of a

7 misdemeanor for the violation of any of the provisions of the Maryland Vehicle Law is

8 subject to a fine of not more than $500.

9 SECTION 2. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take effect

10 October 1, 2007.

Guest pmuzik

yep I caugt a little blurb on the news a few weeks ago and the truck nutz photoshops made me think about it and I looked it up and there it is :beer I just wondered if it was voted on :lol

I also turned this up :lol

I am pleased to note that a local documentary video producer will be interviewing me later this afternoon at my home regarding Delegate LeRoy Myers' House Bill 1163, which reads in pertinent part:

A PERSON MAY NOT DISPLAY ON A MOTOR VEHICLE ANY MODEL, SIGN, STICKER, OR OTHER ITEM THAT DEPICTS OR RESEMBLES ANATOMICALLY CORRECT, LESS THAN COMPLETELY AND OPAQUELY COVERED, HUMAN OR ANIMAL GENITALS, HUMAN BUTTOCKS, OR HUMAN FEMALE BREASTS.

The producer (whom I won't name now but will later) Aldo Bello of Virginia found comments I had made on this bill on Feministing.com, reprinted as follows:

I think it turns on the issue of "anatomically correct." As a practicing attorney in Maryland, I hope this law passes, because I might - just might - get a chance to defend such a charge.

The cross-examination prospects are mind-boggling.

"Officer Jackson, do you believe that these nuts are 'anatomically correct'?"

"Well, then, ma'am, if I may, on the basis [of] what personal TKE (training, knowledge and experience) can you substantiate these balls as 'anatomically correct'?"

"Have you been formally trained in your work with the State Police in testicular analysis? Do you have your nutsack analyst certificate with you presently and is your certificate still valid as of this date?"

"How many pairs of nuts have you examined in the course of your career?"

"Do you have professional experience in ballsack appraisal from prior employment?"

"At the time of the citation, was the set of ballsack calipers that you used to measure the subject nutbag calibrated for accuracy both before and measuring the nuts?"

While as a freedom-minded individual I would oppose these laws, as a defense attorney this could be my ride to professional prominence. "Protect your nuts from the police and call Godfrey...."

Leaving aside the humor value of this topic, there are some serious legal concerns. If tastelessness were a crime, every T-Shirt shop on the Boardwalk in Ocean City would have to shut down. While I could probably support a content neutral ban on objects hanging off of a trailer hitch for safety reasons, this ban is not aimed at the hitch. Any portrayal of the "less than opaquely and completely covered" female breast, including possibly the infamous shapely silhouette mud flaps on probably 100,000 trucks nationwide, would result in a traffic stop. Will a special edition of those silhouette flaps be made with yellow polka-dot bikinis - the "Maryland edition" opaquely and completely covering what John Law requires to be covered - be made?

Consider the effect on interstate commerce and public safety. Delegate Myers' own District 1C covers most of western Washington County and a small slice of Allegany County, including Hancock. Do you know Hancock? Hancock is the narrowest "isthmus" of land wedged between two other states. Pennsylvania and West Virginia are about 2 miles apart. At one point, a "three-state race" was a regular athletic event across the Potomac River and over the Pennsylvania line. In Hancock there are a few gas stations, and that's it. I-68 and I-70 meet there, as does a state road leading down immediately into Virginia. So "Truck Nutz" owners

Guest pmuzik
Isn't that the "Live free or die" state?

When politicians can pass idiotic laws like this, I don't see how we are "free".

:beer

yep true dat but I would like to see this cop asked this question :lol

"At the time of the citation, was the set of ballsack calipers that you used to measure the subject nutbag calibrated for accuracy both before and measuring the nuts?"

post-33-1175454394.jpg

Isn't that the "Live free or die" state?

When politicians can pass idiotic laws like this, I don't see how we are "free".

:thumb

I dont know about the live free part.

But the struggla's here sure are enforcing the DIE part.

Heres the 411 from msnbc:

OXON HILL, Md. - Prince George's County police are investigating their 10th homicide in as many days. The latest one happened Monday night in the 800 block of Marcy Avenue in Oxon Hill, Md. Police said a man was found shot. He was taken to an area hospital where he died. This is the 38th homicide in the county this year, 13 more than this time last year.

Archived