tinting an RV

Last year I tinted a guys 300C. He recently bought an RV and the windows arent tinted at all. they're tempered, dual pane windows. I didnt think they were in super great shape, there was some light scratches on some of them. The rubber seals and the edges of the windows were in fine shape though. He wants the windows as dark as I can get them. Im new to dual pane glass - but im guessing since it's dual pane, then it means no automotive tint so that the windows have less of a chance of cracking. He still wantsthe windows super dark. I'm thinking Suntek symphonyDS series.

Also, what's typical pricing? there is 180sq ft of windows. and 12 individual panes. Since im new to this, I wont charge what the industry charges, plus I'm just trying to work my way through school. I just want to make sure I'm not ripping him off. I told him 720 which is a little bit more than 2x the cost of the suntek film. how do you guys price? I like my method for automotive, but this seems to be a whole nother beast.

thanks for your help!

I think you would be fine with symphony dr15 or a silver 20, but be aware it's going to be shiny. Are you sure they are double pane? We tinted a winnebago (or whatever it's called)saturday which was single pane and put 3M cs 5 on it, looked sweet. We charged $9sqft.

Guest darkdan

Something you may want to think about, highly reflective film could get him in trouble. I'm sure there has to be some law about mirrored appearance (due to blinding people behind them) on an RV.

That being said, I put NV25 on an RV once. They haven't gotten stopped yet.

Guest FilmBlazer

I'v never seen an RV with IGU's myself... But Dan is right about the reflectance. Watch out for the exterior reflectance your state enforces. Its 35% where I'm at.

I think you would be fine with symphony dr15 or a silver 20, but be aware it's going to be shiny. Are you sure they are double pane? We tinted a winnebago (or whatever it's called)saturday which was single pane and put 3M cs 5 on it, looked sweet. We charged $9sqft.

the windows looked thick, so I asked him if they were double pane and the owner as well as one of the people who will be doing a lot of the remodeling agreed that it was dbl pane. So I shy away from automotive. He might be interested in the windows being shiny and I dont think he cares too much about getting pulled over. He was a police officer for a while, and now he owns his own business.

I'll talk to him about reflectance. $9/sqft? holy profanity batman... is that pretty typical? I know it varies by location, but I figure that michigan will be more expensive since there are less people tinting than say florida. apparently I need to get my pricing right. :thumb I figured im charging about $2.10/sq ft. im figuring that this will take me about 12 hours to tint. does that sound about right?

thanks for the input!

the windows looked thick, so I asked him if they were double pane and the owner as well as one of the people who will be doing a lot of the remodeling agreed that it was dbl pane. So I shy away from automotive. He might be interested in the windows being shiny and I dont think he cares too much about getting pulled over. He was a police officer for a while, and now he owns his own business.

I'll talk to him about reflectance. $9/sqft? holy profanity batman... is that pretty typical? I know it varies by location, but I figure that michigan will be more expensive since there are less people tinting than say florida. apparently I need to get my pricing right. :thumb I figured im charging about $2.10/sq ft. im figuring that this will take me about 12 hours to tint. does that sound about right?

thanks for the input!

If it were me... I would charge at least double that, if not more....IMO :beer

Guest haroldshouseoftint
:thumb I figured im charging about $2.10/sq ft. im figuring that this will take me about 12 hours to tint. does that sound about right?

:beer I wouldn't get outa bed for that kinda money :beer 9-20 is about right if using a fg film, 6-8 for auto film IMO

:beer I wouldn't get outa bed for that kinda money :beer 9-20 is about right if using a fg film, 6-8 for auto film IMO

:thumb okay then! I guess I will have to re-evaluate. I dont know if I can charge that much yet. I'm still new to this and this is sort of a trial run. I will be quoting a home soon and I'll up the price some.

Guest MidcoastMW

If you use the darkest suntek Symphony film (which is 15%) its going to have a mirror finish. However its gonna reject heat like a sumbitch!!!!

Archived