First Resi job...

Guest deanjones

Guest deanjones

I have a residential job this Saturday. First one after starting the new business. :thumb

I'm curious... I'll be working on some windows that are at the top of what the customer says is a 20' ceiling. So, the windows will be about 18' high. Is there any particular ladder you guys recommend for something this high? I'm about 5'9 myself... Would a LG 12 footer be fine for this? Maybe a 15 footer? Would anyone recommend a scaffold instead of a ladder for this height? Or is it somewhat common? All of the residential work I have done has never been this high up. :lol2

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ceiling is 20' but are the windows? Have you been out to look at the job? If they are 20' I think I would be considering scaffold unless there is a sturdy place to set an extension ladder and you feel comfortable that high on the ladder.

Guest darkdan

Depends on how wide the windows are.

A 12' won't get you there. Ladders are height rated by reach from the top standing place with an average height person.

18' is up there man.

A 20' extension ladder (either LG or otherwise) would be alright if the windows aren't more than 4' or 5' wide. If it's an 81" wide window good luck reaching. You'd need a scaffold.

Guest deanjones

I haven't been out there to look at it. I may go tonight...

However, the windows at the top are half-moon windows and the owner said they're about 18' up because they're not hitting the top of the ceiling, maybe 2 - 3 feet down from it. They're about 5' across and 3' tall. The windows below it are 5' x 5'. There are 2 of each of those that I'm doing.

Guest FilmBlazer

I can reach 17-18 feet on my little giant in step ladder form with a work platform or standing on the very top, and I am also 5'9. Have they asked about your insurance yet? :thumb

I would go have a look see and find out how high it is from the floor to the top of the highest window. If you are going to be doing a number of windows up high, sometimes it is worth it to use scaffolding since it is more comfortable and somewhat safer.

I hate it when I drop my water or paper towels 17 feet up, grrrrrrr.

Guest FilmBlazer

However, the windows at the top are half-moon windows and the owner said they're about 18' up because they're not hitting the top of the ceiling, maybe 2 - 3 feet down from it. They're about 5' across and 3' tall. The windows below it are 5' x 5'. There are 2 of each of those that I'm doing.

That half moon will be no fun on the top of the little giant that high up. Go take a look for sure if its not too much travel. I will sometimes set up the giant and gauge the install. Otherwise, go to the job w/ scaffold and the LG :thumb

Guest VOLTRON

how did you bid this job and not have looked at the windows? When you bid it you should have gotten the height then to know what you will need and to price the job accordingly.

I did a job similar to that a few months ago, you really need to go take a close look and get the lay of the land..

There could be any sort of chit in your way.

I set up 2 extension ladders and a walkboard in between them, they were 2 double hungs under arches, about 16-18 ft up.....Worked like a champ... :beer

Definately take a helper.... :thumb

Guest deanjones

They were just wanting estimates and my "sqft price". I thought they were just going around finding out prices so I told them. They decided to go with me and then told me it was 18 feet off the ground. I think I may have to back peddle a bit because it seems like it's going to be a lot harder than what they made it out to be...

And, yes... they asked about insurance. :thumb

Archived