The Greatest Job Ever

Guest FilmBlazer

Guest FilmBlazer

Tomorrow at 7:30 am I get the pleasure of removing and replacing 20% low e film at an industrial location. 194 windows total 21 x 16 over 20 feet in the air. Most of which will be done on a scissor lift, hanging halfway out the bucket underneath radiant heat elements. Friggin DIRTY. Part of the job will be R&R on the company's overhead crane, standing outside the crane assembly on the crane's beam. I swear this will be the worst R&R ever. This is all on single pane glass as well. :lol

Anyhow does anyone have any pointers? I have been in the biz for about 7 years, done plenty of R&R... I figured I would ask for pointers because I'll need them more than ever right now. The adhesive is water activated.

This is going to take me awhile, and all on warranty replacement pay. Manufacturer won't even pick up the entire cost of renting the scissor lift. I know no film is perfect, but this is the absolute worst job site film could ever fail on. :lol2

Guest vclimber

Low E Films fail easily. Put a lot up and you'll be scraping alot off sooner or later...

Eat a good breakfest :lol a bunch of coffee and hope for easy removal. :lol2

Guest FilmBlazer

I think they washed it with an industrial strength product. There are two lots of film and it all failed. It looks as if they sprayed something on the film and let the solution sit on the film and it just ate through the SR coating and kept on chompin' through the layers. The film has basically gone clear but very unevenly.

Could the radiant heat source have anything to do with the film failure? I wouldn't think so, but who knows.

Guest vclimber
I think they washed it with an industrial strength product. There are two lots of film and it all failed. It looks as if they sprayed something on the film and let the solution sit on the film and it just ate through the SR coating and kept on chompin' through the layers. The film has basically gone clear but very unevenly.

Could the radiant heat source have anything to do with the film failure? I wouldn't think so, but who knows.

The emissivity layer under the SR coat is the unstable layer.

This situation sounds like customer error. Why did the MFG pick up the warranty on this? :lol

Guest FilmBlazer
The emissivity layer under the SR coat is the unstable layer.

This situation sounds like customer error. Why did the MFG pick up the warranty on this? :lol

The manufacturer IS picking up the film warranty and the labor payment that goes with it... They will not pick up the entire cost for the equipment rental. They only cover a maximum amount per warranty claim for equip rental. The distributor is going to pick up half of the remaining tab though, which is cool, but I didn't feel I should be responsible for any of it as I am providing dirt cheap labor.

Guest FilmBlazer

We don't really know for sure what caused the failure yet at this point, but yes you're right I suppose. The client claims they never touched or came near the glass (of course) yet two diff lots failed at the exact same time.

If there were other factors involved that I do not know about I suppose it is possible for that to happen however, the result leads me to believe it was the customers care that lead to the failure.

Archived