Gouge in glass, fill it before tinting?

Guest Dave)

Guest Dave)

Welcome guys! I am doing a '93 Town Car this weekend and it has deep (it catches your finger nail) scratch about 8" long on door glass. I think its too deep to sand and polish. Should I fill it with something like the windshield fix kit, will it bubble the tint? Should I just toss a smidgen of the Elmer's school glue in it before tinting?

Thanks for the help! I am just practicing my skills now, I bought a precut kit from Northern Tint, its supposed to be metallic two layer tint, but who cares it was only $28 shipped after my Paypal discount!

Thanks for the help,

Dave

If you are just practicing....I wouldn't worry about the scratches and just concentrate on learning to install clean.

And don't get trapped only knowing how to install precut film....learn to hand cut. Precuts are only a benefit if you are doing the same rig over and over. Besides, it takes less than 5 minutes to cut it all out anyway, and that precut film is just a copy of a handcut pattern, so what is the point.

Guest mhun9180
If you are just practicing....I wouldn't worry about the scratches and just concentrate on learning to install clean.

And don't get trapped only knowing how to install precut film....learn to hand cut. Precuts are only a benefit if you are doing the same rig over and over. Besides, it takes less than 5 minutes to cut it all out anyway, and that precut film is just a copy of a handcut pattern, so what is the point.

:duck:D AMEN TO THAT!

Guest Dave)

Lol I can agree to that. I mean that I am just practicing tinting, not just the car. I plan to make the tint permanent and professional. Once I get the hang of squeegeeing, the next car in my fleet will be some good quality tint, handcut of course. One step at a time for me lol. Thanks for the quick replys guys.

Guest Texasrocker

....on the 93 model towncars ( fuzzmachines) use plenty of masking-tape around the fuzzy-interiors to keep lint from getting on the film while installing!! A battery-charger also comes in handy for keeping the rollups in operation while tinting them. As for the "gouge" in the glass, tell the customers it was there already ( if it was). Use quality film for your job that will outlast the vehicle, and set sail to that 4 wheel "land-boat", into the sunset!! TR

Guest Dave)
....on the 93 model towncars ( fuzzmachines) use plenty of masking-tape around the fuzzy-interiors to keep lint from getting on the film while installing!! A battery-charger also comes in handy for keeping the rollups in operation while tinting them. As for the "gouge" in the glass, tell the customers it was there already ( if it was). Use quality film for your job that will outlast the vehicle, and set sail to that 4 wheel "land-boat", into the sunset!! TR

:D Good one! Unfortunately its my daily driver! Good tips though, your right, every window has a large strip of fuzzz which I will have to tape off. :duck

So it doesn't sound like the scratch should come out too bad, thats good.

37011506vb1.jpg

Archived