Filmhandler....how accurate are the cuts?

Guest darkdan

Guest darkdan

Say I've got a 60" roll and need to cut two windows that are 26.25" wide.

How much should I over measure for the slits?

1/4"? 1/2"? 1"? Obviously with those sizes I have plenty of wasted film to cut wide with, but the less overlap on the glass the easier it is for me to trim.

Does it mess up often and I better get used to giving myself a wide birth?

What about slitting a 60" roll into three 20s if I need 19.75"?

I just got mine and saturday is the time I'll be using it (and 72" wide film too!). About 300+ square feet.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest haroldshouseoftint

:beer I never understood the fascination of a handler, I can cut everything out of the box with a coupla olfa blades and have no issues :spit

but to each their own I guess :spit:nope

Guest tintgod
:spit I never understood the fascination of a handler, I can cut everything out of the box with a coupla olfa blades and have no issues :beer

but to each their own I guess :nope:beer

you get a cleaner cut...and having that works great for flat glass..cuz you then only need to trim two sides of the film once you install it.. :spit

Guest vclimber

All films roll down off of the FH different. I shim the thicker films so that they do not wobble from side to side. If you pull slow and evenly then you can cut things pretty tight (within 1/4") on the FH.

Film handlers are accurate it's the rolls that may not be. Get down to the end of a roll that may not be wound tight and then cuts are off. New rolls I can cut exact even 3/4 of the way through but toward the end it gets a lil off sometimes.

:rollin I never understood the fascination of a handler, I can cut everything out of the box with a coupla olfa blades and have no issues :lol

but to each their own I guess :lol2:dunno

that's because you are an old school, hardcore ghetto tinter like me. :rollin

Guest Key West
Film handlers are accurate it's the rolls that may not be. Get down to the end of a roll that may not be wound tight and then cuts are off. New rolls I can cut exact even 3/4 of the way through but toward the end it gets a lil off sometimes.

If ya got the shims, its the only way to fly!! I made my own shims and especially with S&S films I can cut EXACT!!!

Guest FilmBlazer
:dunno I never understood the fascination of a handler, I can cut everything out of the box with a coupla olfa blades and have no issues :lol

but to each their own I guess :lol2:lol

I've never really thought about getting one either for the price they run. I have a cutting table marked in square inches.

6' W x 7' L with a 1/4" gap at the 36" width mark. This allows me to cut film before I go to the job site. If a window is 23 7/8" wide I can cut 72" film into three perfect 24" parts in seconds :rollin

Everyone has their own way I spose, if it aint broke don't fix it :lol Any add ons and I'm with you tintman :rollin

hey key west,

what did you make the shims out of? I tried cutting some out of plexi and the blade gummed up , then out of desperation I just cut some cardboard ones . they work good but would like something a little more permanent

Archived