Filmhandler....how accurate are the cuts?

Guest darkdan

I been using a FH for about 12 years now, I love my FH, it is soo nice when you can line up two edges and only have to cut two...also, I like to precut my patterns the day before, just walk in with rolled up tubes in a box, knock it out......

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see if you tint every single day with all different size windows it may be not be worth using, but in my case since I don't tint every day (I *wish* I did) maybe it would actually be worth it???

-R

Guest Key West
hey key west,

what did you make the shims out of? I tried cutting some out of plexi and the blade gummed up , then out of desperation I just cut some cardboard ones . they work good but would like something a little more permanent

plywood :beer:evilgrin I cut 6" squares with a 3 and 1/4 hole,(so it will fit over the core) :dunno

The only film it does a good job on for me is matte white because the film has a bit of body.

The rest of its application for solar is ho hum because there can be lots of drift with the film on the core and it doesn't cut perfectly at 90 degrees.

Can't beat straight out of a box for simplicity and speed.

Devil

Guest Key West
The only film it does a good job on for me is matte white because the film has a bit of body.

The rest of its application for solar is ho hum because there can be lots of drift with the film on the core and it doesn't cut perfectly at 90 degrees.

Can't beat straight out of a box for simplicity and speed.

Devil

If ya use "shims" to remove the "slop" or drift as the devil said (side to side sliding) it works really well. I cut 8 of them out of 1/4" and 1/8" plywood. make sure the hole will fit over a 3" core. I generally don't try and cut regular solar film exact, I can get a better light gap by free-handing, but with S&S films and commercial frames :DD

ATT00056.jpg

It does work alot better with films with more "body" as devil said. S&S is a BREEZE with it!!!

If you need precision cuts, do as said previously about maintaining a tight role, but also simply use a measuring tape to set the slitters. I've cut to 1/8" when pulled slowly and the windows weren't too big. Some tubes like H.O. are actually too long, that's where it gets aggrivating!

Guest Key West
Well I used it on saturday.

OMG, how did I ever live without one of these?

I threw up over 300 square feet in one day which is a lot for me. Plus, it really did cut down on my waste because I could plan an attack. I was about to cut out two 23" wide windows at the same time as cutting the 25" wide doors with my 72" roll. So I set it for two 23s and one 25. Worked out great. That right there was the majority of the day. Then I just had a few 27" wides, one huge arch, and a few 64"x66" windows.

When I partnered up with the 3M guy here, in '02, he had a 60" 'handler and I finally used one. Over ALL the years I've been doing this without one, I am kicking myself. REPS take a note. Let a prospective "try" one for 30 days. I'll bet you won't get many of them back!!! I now have a 72" handler and am looking for another. ( MILEY? :DD ) Once you get comfotable with them, and you have to have shims I can't stress that enough, you'll never go without one again!!! I use it in the Auto dept. It slits a 60" roll in perfect 20" increments!!! :DD:DD:lol2

I have a filmhandler I've used for 8 or so years. It's probably the most expensive single piece of equipment a film installer is gonna ever buy, but it's completely worth it.

It's stupid to crawl around on the floor all day when you can use a filmhandler and stand to pull the film.

Plus, you can keep the film off the floor which is very important on many jobs.

finally, with the filmhandler, you might still have to trim 2 or 3 sides, but YOU can control the installation because all the sides of the film are straight even if the window isn't square.

Six or Seven Hundred dollars is nothing over the course of year's worth of profitable flat glass film installation. :beer

I have used one for over 5 years. I don't use it for every job, but on most, it works great. Less waste, easier to figure multiple cuts, thats what works for me. I have mounted it on a 10 ft ladder at times to cut large pieces and have had perfectly straight cuts with less than an inch in waste. Would'nt live without it.

Archived