water damage

We do alot of 3M Dusted Crystal in office spaces (doorlites, sidelites, conference rooms,etc.) In the past there were a few times when the water caused the wood trim to swell and warp. It seems like this problem is happening more often as contractors are using more and more composite woods (sponges) for interior framing and trim stops. We lay down towels to catch the water but in the latest case the water is running down into the channel, being that it is an interior window there isn't even a gasket to slow it down. Any ideas? So far the best solution we came up with is to do the filming before the glass is installed, but then there is always the risk of the glass guys damaging the film in the process and dusted crystal is hard to remove after it is dry (unless you soak it but who has the time?).

Guest pmuzik

I have sealed some crappy windows with caulknig a few days before and cut it clean when we prep the windows. we have had decent results with dap 230 clear on painted windows and raw wood. MDF and all the other fake wood mouldings are a PITA but I would rather do this than put up with a raft of shiot when thier cheap azz windows swell up :beer

Oh yeah I forgot to say CHARGE EM :beer

Guest Key West
I have sealed some crappy windows with caulknig a few days before and cut it clean when we prep the windows. we have had decent results with dap 230 clear on painted windows and raw wood. MDF and all the other fake wood mouldings are a PITA but I would rather do this than put up with a raft of shiot when thier cheap azz windows swell up :lol2

Oh yeah I forgot to say CHARGE EM :lol2

:lol2:DD Why not tape it at the bottom to prevent water from running down inside? :DD

Guest VOLTRON

why not stick with filming before install and if something gets damaged during install then just redo and charge them for it. Its either that way or warped frames.

The glass company has decided to install after filming, so now we are hanging film on glass blocked up on small chunks of 2x4 a couple of inches off of a dusty concrete floor, on our knees. Whatever works best for them I guess!

I've installed flat glass film on uninstalled commercial lites while resting on the glass company's truck glass-rack.

(The kind that make a pickup look kinda A-frame like.)

They have rubber stops at the bottom and the working heigth is better.

(inside the shop of course.)

Archived