Computer hELP

:thumb I have a new-three weeks-computer with vista software-its hooked up to cable.Its been working GREAT! Yesterday-it wouldnt connect -Internet explorer diagnosed that my computer has little or no connectivity. Although in my network it says the cable modem is connected and operating properly. Any suggestions? Thanks! ss

Guest vclimber

Shut down Vista. Turn off your cable modem and disconnect the power cord for a minute. Do the same with your router. After a minute, turn on your cable modem and let it boot, then do the same with your router, then fire up Vista.

Can't guarantee anything but that usually works. :thumb

If your not wireless, then it makes no sense :thumb "little or no conductivity" usually refers to wireless connections ...perhaps it's trying to connect to an outside source as a preference to your direct line cable , if this is the case, go to the "connections" section and you can verify this..if this is the case , disconnect that source.

Yeah, I know what your all thinking..TW giving comp advice???? :thumb

(this happened to me and that's what the problem was in my case anyways :beer

I got a virus in mine the other day and it said the same thing. Basically I did a system restore from 2 weeks back and it fixed the problem. In XP I go to start then help and support then go to sys restore. Not sure if vista is the same.

Guest FilmBlazer

I haven't used Vista but once, but I'm assuming that it is not drastically different than XP... Here is something else you can try... I have found it to work on various occasions.

Start Menu > My Network Places > View Network Connections

Right Click "Internet Connection" and select "Disable"

Right Click "Internet Connection" and select "Enable"

If neither this nor the resetting of the cable modem and/or router works, you can also give this a try.

Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

Type in the following.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

exit

After that give it another whirl. If that doesn't work either, try calling your cable provider and having your ip address reset through them. Good luck! Hopefully we can save you a dime!

Archived