My Lincoln's paint finish is a challenge

Guest Stephan

Guest Stephan
post-20641-1176521532.jpgMy 93 Mark VIII is posing a challenge to me. I bought the car off that little old lady that obviously did nothing but drive it through the "dreaded" carwash. It had some paint work done to it prior to me buying it, and I also had one of those unfortunate mishaps where I had to have the entire driver's side re-painted. I am dealing with good color match, but 3 different paints and finishes. The overall condition of the paint all around is excellent, as I am religious with my washing and waxing habits (driving a dirty Lincoln would be like driving a dirty Mercedes...yah just don't!). I have claybar'd the entire car, stripped the entire car with a 3M finishing compound and applied a high end polish that was purchased from a professional detail shop. The car has the smoothest finish it has ever had since it probably came off the line, looks absolutely fantastic inside my shop, until I get it into the sunlight, in which it obviously looks like &%^#. Now I haven't finished it off with a wax yet, (I ran out of energy and hours today) I'm just hoping that I get the dreaded swirlys out when I do so. Any suggestions on what products I should look into using (I have fallen into the Meguiar's rut). I appreciate any advice that can be given to make my Cranberry Hotrod look it's best.

Guest haroldshouseoftint

did you buff it with a hi speed buffer, or just do it by hand?

if you are good with a buffer, you can get out all the swirlies and have a glass paint job, if your not good with a buffer, take it to a "good" pro, it won't be cheap, but well worth it IMO and then you don't need to worry about "burning" the paint

Hope this helps, and :eyebrows to the board :thumb

Guest Stephan

The car really doesn't need a complete paint job as the jobs that were done were done very well. As soon as I finish my morning coffee I'm going to attack it with carnuba. Yes, I used a high-speed wheel (I'm experienced with one as I used to work for a Jaguar/Mercedes/BMW dealer years and years ago and my father and I own a full-service marina, however fibreglass is a different game altogether). We'll see how things go and if all goes well I'll ost some pics....if things don't go well I'll post some pics and you can laugh at me, then tell me what to do to fix my $% up! HA!

The car really doesn't need a complete paint job as the jobs that were done were done very well. As soon as I finish my morning coffee I'm going to attack it with carnuba. Yes, I used a high-speed wheel (I'm experienced with one as I used to work for a Jaguar/Mercedes/BMW dealer years and years ago and my father and I own a full-service marina, however fibreglass is a different game altogether). We'll see how things go and if all goes well I'll ost some pics....if things don't go well I'll post some pics and you can laugh at me, then tell me what to do to fix my $% up! HA!

:spit with years of experience why you asking a bunch of tinters? :mad:rollin But to answer your question-The meguiers rut is the way to go ! They have a professional paint finish system that is bad azz! You have to purchase it at a automotive paint house and its around $100.Its called Meguiers SOLO-You get 4 different pads-and only one type of polish.You start with the first pad and progress thru all 4.Its alot of work-but I've seen it in action-my painter buddy uses it on everything.Use this system and it will look like GLASS...SHOW FINISH! :what

Guest Stephan

The good news is after nearly 4 hours of being well...extremely tedious and a half a pack of cigarettes, the car looks the best it ever has. The bad news is I still have to get my brushes out and get rid of all the built up crust in the cracks! I'm yet to find a good "quick" wax to use on the car. Any suggestions...or shall I go back to my big ole bin fulla Meguiars? For a '93, this car is extremely clean despite its 3 different types of paint. I baby it more than my Mark IV (which just got a fresh coat of paint 2 weeks ago...my next torturous project!) post-20641-1176578525.jpgpost-20641-1176578837.jpg I am always looking for better products to try on everything, so if there's something you really love and suggest I should try for anything from interior to exterior, please let me know! Under the hood looks as good as the rest of the car too :rollin

Guest haroldshouseoftint

:rollin Looks good, I wasn't sure about the use of a buffer or not, so I just put it out there, as we get some people on here asking questions with no exp. at all.

Glad it turned out well for you :spit:what

Guest WASHBOY

Everthig looks good... Try production products.. they have a quick detailer and fast wax that kicks ass... The quick detailer is anti static, which has never let me down yet! I love alot of products that dont come over the shelf b/s, witch the average consumer uses!

Archived