Tips and advise for large panes, please

I usually just us a cardboard tube....like what you have in the inner part of gift wrap? Just cut it to the width you want and roll away. I have also used a broom handle....not as easily cuttable... :beer

:poke

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RCOOTE

So knowing this now, is there ever a time that you would release the liner, spray the film, then apply? Reversing a dry film onto a wet window seems like the best way with least chance of airborne contamination. As soon as I get home tinting 3 windows in my house to prep myself for this weekends 150 SF job. BTW DR35 LULU.. >> nice film :poke

Guest haroldshouseoftint
Thanks for the replies/advice guys.

Tell me how you start the reverse roll, I've tried it a couple of times but just cant get it right.

Bob

with it rolled up, unroll about 4" of it, and wet the liner, then seperate it, lay the liner back onto the rolled portion wet the exposed 4" of film and hang onto it and let er go :DD

PIMPING :DD:lol2:lol2:lol2:lol2:lol2:lol2:lol2:lol2

Thank you, That really eliminates a helper in most cases then.

I have 150 sqaure feet in a hair salon this weekend. First FG job ever. Windows are all small average 3 x 5 tall. I think I will do that for all of them.... :DD

THIS SHOULD BE A TIP OF THE WEEK - at least it is for me.. :DD

:cool glad I could help :beer

Do you all use a tube / insert type thing to roll your film ? The initial 4 inches or so, I spray the liner, peel the liner, spray the film and start to apply ?

The problem I am having is this has to be rolled out sideways, windows 37inches high x 116 wide (approx 10 feet) I get the theory but struggle with the practice, I find it difficult to get it started, seem to get contamination at the start and the roll wants to unwind and drop as I go along when I practice on a smaller piece of glass, 2 ft x 6.

Thanks

Bob

Guest RCOOTE

I tried last night on some smaller windows. spray window, totally dry film peel back a few inches, layup on window, pull on liner while holding film, spray SR side, squeegee, cut.

My problem was I cut too close to the edge and it kept fingering.. Tonight I'm going to try using a thin hard card and leave a small light gap.....

I have until the weekend to practice before I have to look like I've done this a thousand times before.... :dunno

Any other tips for larger windows?? what about a half moon window top. I have one of those. Still reverse it dry???

Thanx

Guest haroldshouseoftint

Uncle Bob, I don't have video capailitys or I would get one up for you.

Rcoote, put the film on the glass and cut it out first, then rverse roll it, do a final clean on the window, and unroll it. You will get better cuts and a cleaner job IMO that way.

Good Luck to both of you :dunno:dunno

Guest RCOOTE
Uncle Bob, I don't have video capailitys or I would get one up for you.

Rcoote, put the film on the glass and cut it out first, then rverse roll it, do a final clean on the window, and unroll it. You will get better cuts and a cleaner job IMO that way.

Good Luck to both of you :dunno:dunno

tintman237, sorry for the in-experience and the questions that reflect it. You have really helped a lot more than you may know. THANK YOU!!

When you say "put the film on the glass and cut it out first" do you mean #1 or #2?,

#1 >> final cut with liner, then final clean, reverse roll, squeegee, DONE.

Or do you mean

#2 >> trim film with a 1/2" over hang, then clean, reverse and apply, then trim with the hard card for that small light gap.

Thanks again for your time..

Richard

Archived