Tips and advise for large panes, please

Guest haroldshouseoftint

#1 is how I do it, treat it just like a car window.

just lay the film up there, (liner twards glass) do a complete cut on it, then roll it up (reverse) and do your final clean, then your completly cut and ready to roll.

sorry for the in-experience and the questions that reflect it. You have really helped a lot more than you may know. THANK YOU!!

:dunno Never be sorry, we ALL have to start somewhere, and everyones got their own style and differant techniques.

Your Welcome, Glad I could help :dunno:lol6

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RCOOTE

Wow, I thought thats what you meant but I had to clarify...

Well I have a lot more windows in my house, but I'm going to do one or two a day, then sit back and reflect on my work and use my experience to better understand different techniques in this forum.

Last night I did an upstairs bedroom and the hall window. I trimmed way too close and got a little contamination from f-ing with the film after.. Tonight I'll try the MB window, its about 3' x 3.5' plus two smaller ones under neath that open..

You've been a great help. Tonight I will try that #1 method and report back with my results. :dunno:lol6:lol6

This really should be pinned in the FG section :dunno

Guest tallscott

Since you hae to reverse roll sideways,get a 4 ft. or so dowel rod to stick inside the roll. wet the glass, start the backroll, and unroll holding the rod to let the film unroll around it. It's easier than trying to push the roll side was to unroll. This will let you lift the front edge of the roll off the glass as you unroll. Set the top edge as you unroll. If you really want to do it better, nail or screw a 4x4 1/4" peice of wood on one end of the dowel rod to support the film and have a "handle" on top to hold the whole thing as you unroll it.

I feel as though I would grasp this better if I seen someone perform it.

I have tried a couple of times today but just find it awkward.

Have tried with a couple of pieces of film 2ft x 6 ft, roll the film up tight, unroll the last 2 or 3 inches, find it awkward to hold the film in one hand and try to peel release liner with the other, always get contamination. Doing it glass wet and applying film dry.

Any flat glass lads in the uk would like a geriatric apprentice for a couple of days ?

There must be someone out there willing to show a fellow tinter this method in action.

Frustrated Bob :dunno

When I reverse roll I roll the film as tight as I can get it, spray the film good and pull the liner about 4 inches and be sure to wrap the 4inches of liner around the film good, hold the film and let it snap down which releases the liner. Since you are doing it sideways I would pull the liner 6 inches the same way, wet film and glass, lay the 6 inches on the glass and squeggie it to try and lock it in place and start unrolling, but with a window that long a second set of hands would sure be helpful, then I wouldn't reverse roll it at all, I would roll film all the way out you hold one end with liner started and someone hold the other end tight and away from the glass, have liner started and glass wet and pull liner as far as you can, lay it on the glass and progressively move down until liner is off and film is on the glass.

Guest RCOOTE

I think you may not understand that you have to hold the liner on the back of the film at the top as you're holding the film. :dunno

There is a pic I seen somewhere that clearly showed it..

Guest RCOOTE

forgot to add that you roll the film, peel the liner, then wrap the liner back around until the liner is on the SR coated side. Then let go of the roll or whip it down..

when I reverse roll horizontally it helps me to unroll more film than 4 inches. I'll go maybe 12+ inches. that way you have more film contacting the glass before unrolling it. you may even be able to set an anchor point. I would make sure you have enough extra film on top and bottom to cut but not so much that its getting caught along the frame as you unroll.

Guest VOLTRON

when you pull the film out of the box to cut it or if it is precut then unroll it with the liner up and spray the liner and then roll it up. This will help prevent the roll from blowing out of the bottom when unrolling it sideways. I will usually unroll the film as far as my arms can reach and then put it on the window and maybe lightly tack it if the film keeps sliding down the window and then unroll the rest of it and then position it where you need it and stick it. If you try and line it up at the top and it is moving around you will get some debris in there from it hitting the top of the frame and pullin dirt out.

It would also be a good idea to have a factory top

Guest Diamond Tints
Any flat glass lads in the uk would like a geriatric apprentice for a couple of days ?

There must be someone out there willing to show a fellow tinter this method in action.

Frustrated Bob :dunno

hahaha had to laugh there unco boab :lol:lol2:lol

Archived