In a bit of a pickle

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of you guys use acetone on the gaskets prior to felting or do you just rough it up with sandpaper or just stick it on ? With a gasket like that do you just cover the top inner part of the gasket? I've just scored it with some sandpaper myself :dunno

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

I use acetone, the hondas are made from silicone and resist adhesives prety well. scuffing them and acetone will ensure a much better bond. also heating the gasket and felt will help too

Guest haroldshouseoftint
TW...There is another way to get the felt strip on without taking the panel off...all you have to do is take the two screw out behind the door opener..and you can pop the top off the seal and get the seal out that way.

:lol

I use acetone, the hondas are made from silicone and resist adhesives prety well. scuffing them and acetone will ensure a much better bond. also heating the gasket and felt will help too

I just scuff em and clean with isporal alcohol and then heat it up a little bit, I might have to try acetone :dunno

Guest tintgod
Thanks for the replies...If no one knows of an other alternative in 24hr, I'm thinking of walking away from this one if I can't felt it .

tell him to go back to the dealership and demand felted seals...case closed. :dunno

I say let him go to the other guy and find out the hard way the windows will scratch sooner or later...then he will be coming back to you...for an r/r and you saying " I told you so".

and sanding the rubber will not help..if dirt get in bedded in those seals...it will scratch. plus I dont think you will be able to sand them with the panels on.

TW...There is another way to get the felt strip on without taking the panel off...all you have to do is take the two screw out behind the door opener..and you can pop the top off the seal and get the seal out that way.

:bdog

I use a dremel then drill some holes then scuff it, then use LSD some acid then I wipe it down with Lemon scented funiture polish. :eyebrows:duck:nope

Problem solved..I talked to him last night and he's still going to bring it to me ..he thinks it wont scratch so he's going to pay me to redo it if it does scratch ..he's been warned..but at least I'm, off the hook :thumb

Update, he's going to look into it further to see if Honda will replace the seals with aftermarket felt ones . He's a good guy and all is good . I hope Honda takes care of THEIR problem.

I told him no hard feelings if he found a tinter who can do it another way than the felt or trimming rubber . If he finds someone , he says he wants to watch them do it , so they'll be on the hook if they are lying to him :thumb

Better them then me ..and if they DO have another way of doing it, he's going to tell me how ..So I'll have a totw in the near future :lol6

Archived