rear rolldowns

I always have problems installing the windows that roll down to reveal the side of the glass(Caddy,Lincoln...). It's when I roll it up that there is all this film to tuck on that side :thumb . Just wondering if anyone has any tips on making this easier for us newbies(or maybe just me :thumb ). thanks

Guest CajunTinter
pull the panel and do it all in once piece at once?....that way you dont get any problems with pinching....if that is what you mean :lol2:lol2

I think that what he means, but maybe if he listed specific vehicles we could be more helpful... :lol2

Guest haroldshouseoftint

All Gm & Ford vehicles, yank the rubbers out, over cut the doors and slam it all in one shot it doesn't matter the vehicle type, all in one shot no problems :lol2

:lol2 but what do I know :lol2

It's any rear rolldown that rolls down and moves back and exposes two edges of the glass(top and side). It's fine when installing with the window rolled down a bit to set the top and exposed side, but then you roll it up and that side has a bunch of film that has to slide all that distance that the window has moved sideways. I know this is a shizzy explanation and I tried to find a pic of a window partially rolled down but this is one of the types I'm talking about

BigBlueBus5_JPG.jpg

Guest tintgod

I take the panels off on vehicle like that...but I also do this when I make my patterns....when cutting the pattern...cut your back side (the side the doesnt come away form the seal) slide it over about a 1/8 of and inch to over lap that side you just cut..then roll down the window tell the side that comes away for the frame is just slightly exposed...then cut your top edge and exposed side down as far as you can..then...take it you your peeler and trim the rest off to complete the pattern..but when you are trimming the rest of the front edge...continue the cut at the same angle for about an inch then slant it in just a tad...this area is not seen when you roll up and down the window anyways..and this way you know you are not going to have any of the film over lapped and you dont have to worry about it bunching up in the seal...hope this makes sense.

I take the panels off on vehicle like that...but I also do this when I make my patterns....when cutting the pattern...cut your back side (the side the doesnt come away form the seal) slide it over about a 1/8 of and inch to over lap that side you just cut..then roll down the window tell the side that comes away for the frame is just slightly exposed...then cut your top edge and exposed side down as far as you can..then...take it you your peeler and trim the rest off to complete the pattern..but when you are trimming the rest of the front edge...continue the cut at the same angle for about an inch then slant it in just a tad...this area is not seen when you roll up and down the window anyways..and this way you know you are not going to have any of the film over lapped and you dont have to worry about it bunching up in the seal...hope this makes sense.

yea that does make sense, I'll try it next time. Guess it's always where to start the slant cut that always gets me. either to soon or not soon enough :lol2:lol2 I have a hard enough time cutting smoothly around that rounded corner. I friggin hate those windows. Thanks tg and all else who replied. :lol2:lol2

Guest tintgod

the best way to get that angle is to get a long ruler and after you continue the cut for about an inch or two...stop the cut..take the ruler and put it on the film at the same angle as the back edge,then slide it over to the front edge were you need to trim it keeping the same angle and trim the rest of the excess film...this should be just enough to where you will not see the edge of the film when you roll the window up..it may take some practice...but it works :lol2

Archived