Steamer film removal TECHNIQUES!

Guest darkdan

Guest darkdan

Everyone talks about using a steamer, but it's rare we discuss how we use it.

What's the best way? Heat an area, pull? Heat as you pull? Heat the front side? Heat the back side?

So what's your technique for steaming off film?

Do you add simple green? Do you add ammonia? Vinegar? Pixie dust?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkdan

What pace?

Define slowly?

Inches per second.

Do you try to get it all off in one piece? Or do you not care?

These are the things I want to know. Now tell me, tell me, yes! YES!

Good thread topic Dan :lol2 I don't use a steamer, I've never had what I call good luck with steaming (only tried it a couple of times) I use other methods, but will keep an eye on this topic :lol

Guest tiger_football

Does adding Simple Green or ammonia help? I've always just used plain water. In terms of technique, I first try to heat a medium sized area to get in nice and warm. Then I start peeling with the nozzle directed at an area about 2-3 inches in front of where I'm pulling. One piece is aways ideal for me but I always seem to get the ones that come off in a thousand tiny pieces. I really don't like removing film, but then again who does?

Guest MidcoastMW

heres what I do.... it works great on film up to 5 years old. I havent used it on NASTY 10 yr UV-raped films.

about 70% water, 30% Simple Green.

I have the Wagner Steamer its like $50 at Home Repo. I use the rectangle attatchment its about 3"X6" ?? Start in one corner, hold it on there like an iron for 3-5 seconds....pick at corner....repeat.

Once it starts peeling you will know if its comming off clean or leaving adheisive. Adjust heating times.

...also keep some steam blowing on the rest of the tint periodically to "loosen it"

Once you get that peel going, keep most of the heat at the peel point as you move. You should get one clean peice. Usually only glue in spots where you dont let the steamer do the work and pull too hard or soon.

Hope this helps. :lol2

*edit* I forgot to mention keep the peeled tint from touching the glass again cuz it will cling and probly leave glue.

heres what I do.... it works great on film up to 5 years old. I havent used it on NASTY 10 yr UV-raped films.

about 70% water, 30% Simple Green.

I have the Wagner Steamer its like $50 at Home Repo. I use the rectangle attatchment its about 3"X6" ?? Start in one corner, hold it on there like an iron for 3-5 seconds....pick at corner....repeat.

That's the one I use and how I use it..only just water though..no simple green(they don't sell it in Canada) ..I wonder what would be a good alternative :lol2

That's the one I use and how I use it..only just water though..no simple green(they don't sell it in Canada) ..I wonder what would be a good alternative :lol2

I would say a good citrus cleaner would work...

I use only water in mine, cause I do upholstery with it too..

I heat an area in a corner where I can get hold of a piece, I preheat an area then I keep the nozzle between the glass and film, it seems to help the glue release easier for me, although I do alternate to keep an area in my path warm....

Guest willie
Good thread topic Dan :lol I don't use a steamer, I've never had what I call good luck with steaming (only tried it a couple of times) I use other methods, but will keep an eye on this topic :beer

I dont understand or I'm misreading, you dont use a steamer but you have a method of how you use it :beer

Good topic Dan :lol

Archived