tint training

Guest dinan323

For the tinters like gus that probally havnt been around the detailing business'DIDNT SAY CLEAN BUT DETAILING 'it has taken just as long to train a proffessional detailer in the art of detailing,1 year to 2 years to learn all the differant chemicals ,348 just in cleaning chems that are and are not compatable,wet sand and buff out scratchs ,learn how to match and mix dye for leather and vinyl,carpet,pinstriping and how to remove acid rain from paint to glass,shiot ittook me 5 years to be as knowledgable in detailing and 14 months for tinting,so show a little respect ,I added tinting to my business because everbody thatcomes in ask if we tint windows.Now yes we tint do leather and vinyl repair and Detail.Dont get bored as quick now :thumb

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dinan323

Wow thanks for all the advice, I live in Steamboat Springs CO a small ski town of about 20,000 people. This is the second year for my detail shop, I just started offering clear bra's, and figured that if I did window tinting between the three I could support having my own shop. I figured window tinting would be similar to clear bra, I did the training for that about 6 months ago and have been charging less than half the going rate since I do not do perfect work. I think that I might be able to do the same with window tinting, many of my customers would not pay $250 for a clear bra, but are willing to pay $100 for a clear bra with one or two flaws. If any of you tinters are looking for a add on service you might consider clear bra, it cost about $20 in material if you use bulk rolls instead of pre cut kits it takes about one hour and in Colorado you can charge $250-$300, although Colorado is the most popular market with all the snow and consturction. If anyone is interested in some info on clear bra let me know and I will try to help you.

Thanks again for all the help.

PS If I did want to hire a tinter to do the work and train me, what is a ball park wage or window tinting employees?

Guest SQUEEGEE
For the tinters like gus that probally havnt been  around the detailing business'DIDNT SAY CLEAN BUT DETAILING 'it has taken just as long to train a proffessional detailer in the art of detailing,1 year to 2 years to learn all the differant chemicals ,348 just in cleaning chems that are and are not compatable,wet sand and buff out scratchs ,learn how to match and mix dye for leather and vinyl,carpet,pinstriping and how to remove acid rain from paint to glass,shiot ittook me 5 years to be as knowledgable in detailing and 14 months for tinting,so show a little respect ,I added tinting to my business because everbody thatcomes in ask if we tint windows.Now yes we tint do leather and vinyl repair and Detail.Dont get bored as quick now :lol

I agree with your point tintbandit in regards to detailing being a skill that should be respected and time taken to learn can be substantial but to put it into perspective by saying that you're at the same level of tinting as you are detailing after only 14 months is laughable at best.

Put yourself in the presence of a tint pro with 5 or more years of busy work under his belt and you will be humbled - guaranteed.

Squeej

Guest Braud Spectrum
Put yourself in the presence of a tint pro with 5 or more years of busy work under his belt and you will be humbled - guaranteed.

Squeej

Right on Squeeg ! :lol

Guest Me_shelli
:lol Much respect for the detailing profession. Alot of work and not alot of pay. I agree with texastintchic, nothing wrong with constantly expanding your business to make it. I'm constantly having to learn new things. Like my latest project is putting big ass stripes on cars. Our shops has done it for a while, just my turn to learn. Just don't try to add to much at once. Good Luck :uh

Guest autoreflections

Another aspect too of detailing which makes you a better tinter is the pickiness for dirt that we have. We see dirt, smell it feel it FEAR it. Your fingers and hands get trained to touch and not look. The more meticulous you are the higher the standards you'll set for your tinting and the more sucessful you'll be. :lol:lol

I did the training for that about 6 months ago and have been charging less than half the going rate since I do not do perfect work.  I think that I might be able to do the same with window tinting, many of my customers would not pay $250 for a clear bra, but are willing to pay $100 for a clear bra with one or two flaws.

I think I stopped the noise from bleeding (after my last post) :thumb

But this has all the markings of the "$99.00 tint specail", and another market screwed. :lol6

squeegee you are right but if a owner of a detail shop ,not a clean up :lol6 can tint a car ,and satisfy his customer base and make money and be an asset to the area he is working then combining the 2 makes eco sense!As of now with detailing and tinting I have no down time even with the economy like it is.Tinting was great march til sept 18 'since Welfare line'detailing sept til now 1400 .00 week average and dont care if I tint again until march at 150.00 to 200.00 a detail.Before I was a little worried a few months Mar-may,' those do it your selfers'.PS You must have dealers Insurance companys and Body shops to make the money to send your kids toDUKE UNV, when time comes, So Work AND DONT LET NO ONE I REPEAT NO ONE DISCOURAGE YOU IF YOU HAVE HEART AND DESIRE, but remember your family may suffer and sacrifices must be made to be no 111111 so if you combine the 2 You better be one special individual to be great at both. :thumb

Archived