Will tinting my sunroof cause the glass to crack?

Guest Rock Slide

Guest Rock Slide

If there are threads that have previously been discussed on this subject, please let me know. I did seach, "sunroof tinting", but came up empty.

For reference, I own a '02 4Runner.

Will someone please debunk this myth:

I've been told by guys that have tinted suvs and tint shops alike that by having my sunroof tinted, will actually cause the sunroof glass to crack (not suddenly, but over time). Some local tint shops won't even tint sunroofs b/c of this very reason. However, other tint shops will tint the sunroof and they say they've never heard of tint causing glass to crack. Talked to a guy a few days ago online that has had his sunroof in his 4Runner tinted for over 2yrs now w/o any problems.

I'm told that a tinted sunroof does not properly allow the heat to transfer back out. With the shade pulled closed, the heat from the sun travels down through the glass, hits the shade and is normally reflected back out...to some degree at least. But with a layer of tint in place, the heat is trapped, thus causing the glass to crack/break.

Has this ever happened to anyone before or is everyone pulling a "good one" on me? I'm starting to wonder if the glass is being cracked by other factors outside of the actual tint doing the harm. I want to get to my sunroof tinted, but not if I'm going to encouter problems down the road with it.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill,

Your question is well formed and fluent. Thanks.

I've tinted numerous sunroofs over the years and there's only 2 situations why there would be a problem that I'm aware of.

One is if it's constructed of a non-glass substance. I've not heard of a non-glass sunroof, but some camaros and firebirds from the 80's had plastic T-tops.

The other is if it is made of laminated glass like a windshield. I've not heard of laminated sunroofs, either, so I doubt that's a problem.

The reality is that some shops just aren't willing to do it because it's a pain in the eye to do them. They're tricky to cut, and when you install the film , you usually get dripped in the eye by the soapy water used to install the film, so they're not much fun to do.

Most likely, there's no reason why you can't tint your sunroof. :shock

Guest Rock Slide

Thanks for the quick response!

So do you agree it's something besides the tint causing the sunroofs to crack?

Sounds like you do not foresee any problems with getting my sunroof tinted though. The shop that told me they've tinted sunroofs for many years said it'd cost me $35.00. In that case I'll definitely think about getting it tinted.

Again thanks for the help. :shock

what hoosier said is bang on. They shouldnt "crack". If you have heard of them cracking...I would suggest that it may be laminated glass??? because tempered glass doesnt crack...it explodes. Your sunroof should be tempered (it will should say in the corner etching)...so your safe. :shock

Guest SlammedNiss
One is if it's constructed of a non-glass substance. I've not heard of a non-glass sunroof, but some camaros and firebirds from the 80's had plastic T-tops.

I know one of my co-workers went to tint a sunroof on a Celica once. He made a few nice scores in the plastic with his knife. From this day on, I always check to see if it's glass or plastic.

Guest Rock Slide
what hoosier said is bang on. They shouldnt "crack". If you have heard of them cracking...I would suggest that it may be laminated glass??? because tempered glass doesnt crack...it explodes. Your sunroof should be tempered (it will should say in the corner etching)...so your safe. :krazy

AFAIK, the sunroof on my 4Runner is tempered glass...but I'll double check that though.

Again, thanks for the info. I knew if anyone would know the answer, it'd be you guys :krazy

Like the guys said here. As long as its tempered you shouldn`t have a problem.

Any time a tempered window breaks on a car its from something hitting it or a defect in the glass itself. Window film will not cause it to break all on its own UNLESS the glass has a defect in it, Then there is a small possibility that it could happen. I have never had one break in my 18 years of tinting.

In the late 80s ...Nissan sent out flyers thru our film suppliers stating that if you filmed their sunroofs that there was a great risk of them cracking. This is where the MYTH started.I too have told people of the chance of breakage...so if by chance it happened -I would be covered. The flyer hung on my shop wall for years til it fell apart! :krazy:krazy

I'v seen sunroofs pop with tint on them...but they both had real dark tint on them and they were aftermarket roofs..... :krazy

I'v tinted 1000's of em with 35% without a problem. Even so I wouldnt go darker than 35...just in case.

:krazy

Archived