Will tinting my sunroof cause the glass to crack?

Guest Rock Slide

Guest Rock Slide
I usually tint the sunroofs with 20% silver commercial tint. Because of the laminated glass I use the mirror because it reflects more and doesnt absorb heat in the glass . never had a problem .

Well, I checked the etchings on my windshield, sunroof glass and driver side door glass for a comparison of laminated and tempered glass - Both my sunroof glass and driver side window glass have the letters "TG" etched in which I assume stands for tempered glass. My windshield has the letters "LG" etched in the corner which I assume means laminated glass.

Therefore, if my sunroof is tempered glass like all the remaing pieces of glass (minus the windshield) in my 4Runner, I should not have any issues with tinting my sunroof. (Granted I have my entire windshield tinted and have never had any problems with it, but that's another topic.)

So, now that I know I'm able to tint my sunroof w/o any foreseable issues, I guess now it comes down to how dark I want to tint it. I don't really see a point in tinting it 35%...that's too light. I might as well leave the shade closed if I tinted it to that. 20% sounds reasonable, but I'd much rather have it tinted to 5%. This would allow me to keep the shade open more often than not, w/o as much sunlight or other light for that matter, entering the vehicle from above.

Does anyone see a problem with me tinting my sunroof to 5%? Just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I proceed with this. :poke

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any time a tempered window breaks on a car its from something hitting it or a defect in the glass itself. Window film will not cause it to break all on its own UNLESS the glass has a defect in it, Then there is a small possibility that it could happen. I have never had one break in my 18 years of tinting.

That fault is called a nickel sulphide inclusion and can happen.

Devil

Guest Rock Slide

Thanks for all the advice! I feel much more confident in tinting my sunroof.

I am glad to hear this myth was just that...a myth. Thank you all for debunking it...and explaining the history of how it originated!

Bill

Archived