Tint installer cut into paint in several spots when fitting film

Guest sweetteababble

Guest sweetteababble

I have a new 07 VW Rabbit, just this weekend rolled over to 1000 miles.

Saturday, I went to the dealer recommended tint shop. Yesterday, while washing my car, I saw a white line spanning most of the sunken in area that frames the rear window (this line is new as I have been meticulous about every little thing I see, and have been dealing with this area because of some impossible to remove water spots on the back glass), so I inspect it further and find that there is another line, on the bottom side that actually starts outside of the opening where it clearly visible just by looking at the back end.

In the long term; I can see a lot of problems with the paint being compromised with cuts from a razor or xacto knife. In the short term; even if, ultimately, it's not going to have much impact to the paint itself, it still looks bad having those cuts in the paint.

Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions on a course of action?

thank you in advance.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest haroldshouseoftint

:lol2 OK I read this twice, and am not sure of your question, you have scratches in your back window, or on your paint :lol2 If they etched the back glass on your car, the shop should replace it, if they scratched the paint while installing PPF, they should have the paint fixed :lol2 Thats JMO, take it back to the shop and see what they have to say :lol2

Good Luck, and :lol2 to the board :lol2:lol2

Have you ask them about it? I don't see how the scratches you talk about would happen when tinting but I can see if you are real picky about cleaning that area you could have had a little dirt in the rag and made the scratch. Just ask the shop about it. I hope you went to a solid shop and not a lower price place. I really can't place blame from the internet............................

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Mr. Rogers :lol2

Guest sweetteababble
I don't see how the scratches you talk about would happen when tinting

The cuts are in the paint. It's sort of difficult to explain the location, but if anyone is familiar with the 07 Rabbit/GTI rear hatches they will know that the glass is not flush with the metal exterior, there is a gap that essentially goes all the way around it the glass, in this and (leading out/in of this gap in two places) are cuts clearly made by a straight sharp object as they are not jagged and not simple scratches, but actual cuts.

It's not scratches, it's a clear cut that spans almost the whole length of metal that is between the gaps, I will try and get a couple pictures.

It was done, I assume from watching the set up, when the film was cut around the windows on the outside. It's not even something I could reach with anything I wish my far with. It looks like the only places that it happened.

Anyhow, thanks again and thank you for the welcome.

Dude, we're gonna need to see some pics. Otherwise, all I can say is that the installer had to be completley blind or have no nerve endings in their hands to not sense that they were cutting into the paint across an entire length of a part of the car. :dunno Sorry but I'm afraid without pics, this topic is way too ambiguous.

I understand what he is talking about...I think. :eyebrows the one thing im not sure of is when you say rear glass, do you mean the rear quarter glass or the back window? If im understanding correctly, there is no trim around this glass and when the tinter went to trim out his tint on the outside, possibly he used the edge of the glass as his guide...the way most of us do to trim the top edge of at roll down. And when he did, he had his blade extended to far and caught the paint. I dont trim out stationary glass that way, I trim it on the glass, but I have seen ppl do it, and I have seen this happen. At least this is what it sounds like.

Best advice is to take it back to the tint shop that did the job and point out the problem. The problem is going to be getting them to admit they did it/proving they did it. Since they come recommended by the dealer....is there any of the same cars on the lot done? Do they have the same marks? something you may want to check out. :lol2

Guest sweetteababble
I understand what he is talking about...I think. :thumb the one thing im not sure of is when you say rear glass, do you mean the rear quarter glass or the back window? If im understanding correctly, there is no trim around this glass and when the tinter went to trim out his tint on the outside, possibly he used the edge of the glass as his guide...the way most of us do to trim the top edge of at roll down. And when he did, he had his blade extended to far and caught the paint. I dont trim out stationary glass that way, I trim it on the glass, but I have seen ppl do it, and I have seen this happen. At least this is what it sounds like.

Exactly. That is exactly what I am trying to say.

I will try to get pics, I work most of the day and the last thing im thinking about when I first leave for work is taking pictures. I will leave myself a note so I remember.

Guest sweetteababble
I'm looking at pictures of a GTI and thinking....why would he trim way out there? The glass is 2" away from the edge.

I have no idea, honestly. That was the first thing I thought when I was looking at it, the fact of the matter is there is no other way/time this could have happened. Like I said it's brand new and I've been hypersensitive about anything that even looks like a scratch or nick.

Another thing I found was on the back right rear seat window they managed to nick the tint, it looks like they were trying to flatten out a bubble and nicked it. There is no way in the WORLD this could have been overlooked. :rollin

ugh

Archived