tinting at the docks

Guest dagz

I've heard they're crying out for tinters down at the docks which are near me. I've also heard they don't pay much, but then that's fair enough if they're giving you a contract for hundreds of cars, don't you think? also, they'd give you somewhere decent to work.

if I don't do this then I'm going to open my own tint shop.

so what do you guys think - big contracts at the docks or tint shop?

cheers

if you mean royalportbury dock in avonmouth, then the work is put up to tender on a yearly basis, you have to put in a price and stick to it, all year, the prices are crap , around £90 for a complete car, but for 5 a days , 52 weeks a year aint too bad, if your gonna set up a tint shop, if its the south west uk, you probally wont get far, the markets swamped in the south west. all the dealers are taken , but give it a go if you feel confident , but the tinters in the south west has 15 years + experience each and are very good, making an impression in the tinting world in the south west would be hard, good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Have you looked into working at portbury/avonmouth yourself matty? or done it? any more info would be appreciated. I'm not sure what you mean about 'put up to tender on a yearly basis'. I thought it would be more like getting a contract for x amount of a certain model, and they'd want them done asap, and then you'd look for another contract; or in my case rest for a few months :lol2

I actually worked down there before through the company I was employed by. me and the other employee did 500 cars in a few months and I really liked the routine of doing the same car over and over. and as mentioned, f' all overheads!

but yeah, more info on this would be great...

if you mean royalportbury dock in avonmouth, then the work is put up to tender on a yearly basis, you have to put in a price and stick to it, all year, the prices are crap , around £90 for a complete car, but for 5 a days , 52 weeks a year aint too bad, if your gonna set up a tint shop, if its the south west uk, you probally wont get far, the markets swamped in the south west. all the dealers are taken , but give it a go if you feel confident , but the tinters in the south west has 15 years + experience each and are very good, making an impression in the tinting world in the south west would be hard, good luck in whatever you decide to do.

5 cars a day @ £90 a car, £2700 for a 6 day week. Got to be good doh in anyones book :eyebrows

Bob

Guest naughtydog
5 cars a day @ £90 a car, £2700 for a 6 day week. Got to be good doh in anyones book :eyebrows

Bob

I'm not getting out of bed for that $|-|17.

Guest Tintim
Have you looked into working at portbury/avonmouth yourself matty? or done it? any more info would be appreciated. I'm not sure what you mean about 'put up to tender on a yearly basis'. I thought it would be more like getting a contract for x amount of a certain model, and they'd want them done asap, and then you'd look for another contract; or in my case rest for a few months :eyebrows

I actually worked down there before through the company I was employed by. me and the other employee did 500 cars in a few months and I really liked the routine of doing the same car over and over. and as mentioned, f' all overheads!

but yeah, more info on this would be great...

:lol2

hey Dagz

What was the model you did 500 of? As Uncle Bob said £2700 a week is a £140,000 a year if you can get it and well worth it. Problem is this work is going to the cheapest bidder and the quality is going down hill.

Have seen some New toyota cars fitted with tint from the docks which although not the worst jobs do have contamination issues, which on a new car as a customer I would not be happy with. Also a dealership we do work for had a Shogun backed to him by the customer over the tint job which was done down the docks - came to us we de-tinted and re-tinted it.

I don't blame the tinters it more the volume of work, timescale and conditions they have to work under. Depending on the car 5 a day is good going for one guy. My best is 5 rear of driver people carriers and 3 back screens in a day from 9 till 7. But I would not want to do that for three months - I'd be forked.

:lol2

:DD

hey Dagz

What was the model you did 500 of? As Uncle Bob said £2700 a week is a £140,000 a year if you can get it and well worth it. Problem is this work is going to the cheapest bidder and the quality is going down hill.

Have seen some New toyota cars fitted with tint from the docks which although not the worst jobs do have contamination issues, which on a new car as a customer I would not be happy with. Also a dealership we do work for had a Shogun backed to him by the customer over the tint job which was done down the docks - came to us we de-tinted and re-tinted it.

I don't blame the tinters it more the volume of work, timescale and conditions they have to work under. Depending on the car 5 a day is good going for one guy. My best is 5 rear of driver people carriers and 3 back screens in a day from 9 till 7. But I would not want to do that for three months - I'd be forked.

:DD

but then if you did, you could take the rest of the year off :thumb

it was honda crv's I did. we were doing 8 a day between two of us. I would be interested to know how much my boss was getting for it, but of course he didn't want to let on at all!

Archived