removing tint

Guest TONY 67

Guest TONY 67

About 10 years ago not knowing anything about tinting I put an automotive tint on 2 velux windows after I had a loft conversion done. its now purple and streaky and was going to redo it with some residential film I have. Now,started to remove film and its coming off in flakes, whats the best way to remove ....persevere with ss blade or is there any quicker way?

Guest haroldshouseoftint

unfortunatly, the only option you've got is to go to town with a razor blade, if possible get a 6" triumph scraper, but be careful, you can scratch the glass.

Make sure the window is really wet, and start scrapping

Guest TONY 67

yep using j+j shampoo with 6 in triumph, gonny be a slow process,can still feel tackiness on the adhesive side even after about 10 years on there..oh well started so ill need to finish it now

Guest whyBdark

soak the window with soapy water, apply a release liner over the tinted pane, let it soak in sun for a half an hour or so, If your lucky the film will peel right off....good luck

Guest TONY 67

just under 2 hours to get the tint off, 48X24 stuck on fast, although bottom 6 inches of the window was a lot easier

first time ive removed tint...oh well will tackle other window tomorrow

mist a little simpe green on it and let it sit for a while to loosen up that adhesive, not too much though and spray more of that baby shampoo and water like he said before to give it more slip for your blade. Sure would be nice to use a steamer on that thing, but even if its tempered, never do that...

Guest mhun9180
I'm thinking about buying a steamer, do they work :rollin

They work great on PS adhesives, not on DA. Great investment and will save you plenty of elbow grease because it really softens the adhesive. :lol6

Archived