X class solar flare!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Equalizer

I was pretty impressed with the few Cooper shows that I got a chance to listen to. You could tell that he put a lot of time into his research.

Alex Jones has one of the best shows on any format IMHO. His more recent documentaries are the best ones that I've ever seen on the subjects that he covers. He talked me into writing a resolution to get us out of the Patriot Act I & II, and out from the jurisdiction of the Dpt of Homeland Insecurity, as well as FEMA.

Do you ever get in The Intellegence Report, or Brent Johnson's Voice of Freedom?

Here come another on TD and it's a lot bigger than the last one !!!

10/29/03

FAYE FLAM

Knight Ridder Newspapers

The latest sunspot eruption was 10 times the size of last week's non-event however, Lafon said. The flare occurred on the sun's surface about 6 a.m. Tuesday and was detected by a number of satellites.

"It's headed straight for us like a freight train," said John Kohl, a solar astrophysicist at the CFA. "This is the real thing."

Beyond its larger size, the latest flare is different in that it occurred in the center of the sun's disk as seen from Earth, sending a blast of material, called a coronal mass ejection, directly toward our planet, said Leonard Strachan, another CFA astrophysicist. The gust of electrically charged gas is traveling at 1,000 miles per second.

"Last week's (coronal mass ejection) hit the Earth with only a glancing blow," said Kohl.

One expert called this latest event the strongest flare in 30 years. Others are putting it in the top three.

This flare is comparable to one that hit in April 2001, Strachan said. That one treated millions to a spectacular viewing of the northern lights. Scientists say this storm could result in lights visible as far south as Texas and Florida beginning late today

SandS here is a definition of a solar flare I found. I've heard and seen stuff about them but TD got my interest up when he started this thread. It's kinda like a massive interstellar fart :thumb

OOPs forgot the definintion

What is a Solar Flare?

A flare is defined as a sudden, rapid, and intense variation in brightness. A solar flare occurs when magnetic energy that has built up in the solar atmosphere is suddenly released. Radiation is emitted across virtually the entire electromagnetic spectrum, from radio waves at the long wavelength end, through optical emission to x-rays and gamma rays at the short wavelength end. The amount of energy released is the equivalent of millions of 100-megaton hydrogen bombs exploding at the same time! The first solar flare recorded in astronomical literature was on September 1, 1859. Two scientists, Richard C. Carrington and Richard Hodgson, were independently observing sunspots at the time, when they viewed a large flare in white light.

well I guess it can't be GOOD for us but from what I've read so far it mostly affects electronic equipment and produces som kick Azz northern lights. What amazes me is the numbers :thumb this last flare put 2 BILLION tons of matter out and it's moving at a 1300 miles a SECOND fascinating stuff !!! shiot thats like 4,680,000 freaking miles an hour

Archived